Good dimmable LED wash light recommendations

Eric W.

Hello,

When they installed the worklights in our space, they installed them above the grid, perpendicular to our battens, so when they're on, they create ridiculous shadows from the teasers, etc. I'd like to supplement them with a number of good basic low-profile dimmable LED wash fixtures that I can mount to the grid and at least get some good coverage so we can see what we're doing and we have slightly better light for rehearsals, etc. They'll likely not be used for production, I want to address them to the same address as our work lights which our single color dimmable LEDs. So, a simple white LED light that's not crazy expensive would be best. Any recommendations? The stage space is pretty small (30' x 30' acting space,) and the grid is about 15' from the deck.

Last edited:
Sounds like you want standard LED work lights, so begs the question as to why the need to dim them ?.

As an experiment and really cheap alternative to the Altman Q1000 incandescent flood units used prior, as well as the planned for OSRAM Kreios LED fixtures ordered for a new upgraded space, our TD found some really cheap LED floods on Amazon. $45 a pair, no UL listing, no warranty. We installed in May last year, they are the equivalent of the Q1000 with a 300w lamp. We have 2 on a dimmer that goes to 15% at night as ghost lights for the seating chamber. So far so good. For this price you can by like 100 and not need to worry about the warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBTB717/?tag=controlbooth-20

Last edited:
I sense you want them DMX controllable. I was just today wishing for a DMX controllable worklight rather than a lot of relay controlled circuits. ColorSource is a little pricey. I don't know what SSRCs SwitchBrick costs but I bet not inexpensive. The Kreios FLX90 but with powercons and DMX throughs.

Last edited:
Sounds like you want standard LED work lights, so begs the question as to why the need to dim them ?.

As an experiment and really cheap alternative to the Altman Q1000 incandescent flood units used prior, as well as the planned for OSRAM Kreios LED fixtures ordered for a new upgraded space, our TD found some really cheap LED floods on Amazon. $45 a pair, no UL listing, no warranty. We installed in May last year, they are the equivalent of the Q1000 with a 300w lamp. We have 2 on a dimmer that goes to 15% at night as ghost lights for the seating chamber. So far so good. For this price you can by like 100 and not need to worry about no warranty.

I went with cheap amazon fixtures too (a different brand). Haven't tried dimming mine but they have been great. The first batch I bought all died in a short time. The new brand seems to be holding strong. I've nearly trippled the light output on stage and cut energy consumption to 1/3 the original.

I have two different fixtures in use. As I said before I have not tried dimming them.

These are amazingly bright and beautiful white 5000k color temperature, 8,000 lumens, 100 watts. They come in a two pack for $90. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773WQGKR/?tag=controlbooth-20

I also have a bunch of these as well. 100 watt, 8,000 lumens and "3000k" For $24 each. I find them slightly inconsistent in color temperature. Some are a nice warm 3,000k othets drift slightly towards yellow/green. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BRVXRW/?tag=controlbooth-20

Someone send me a private message next week to remind me when I get back from NAMM and I'll try test them out on dimmed channels

As an experiment and really cheap alternative to the Altman Q1000 incandescent flood units used prior, as well as the planned for OSRAM Kreios LED fixtures ordered for a new upgraded space, our TD found some really cheap LED floods on Amazon. $45 a pair, no UL listing, no warranty. We installed in May last year, they are the equivalent of the Q1000 with a 300w lamp. We have 2 on a dimmer that goes to 15% at night as ghost lights for the seating chamber. So far so good. For this price you can by like 100 and not need to worry about the warranty.

Everything in here is dimmable and controlled via DMX either via the console or the architectural system. Nothing in the entire building is controlled by a simple switch on the wall, it all goes through the architectural system and some circuits are also controllable via the board. So... dimmable to be compatible with everything else.

I sense you want them DMX controllable. I was just today wishing for a DMX controllable worklight rather than a lot of relay controlled circuits. ColorSource is a little pricey. I don't know what SSRCs SwitchBrick costs but I bet not inexpensive. The Kreios FLX90 but with powercons and DMX throughs.
You sense correctly. My mistake. In my brain, when I wrote dimmable, I meant DMX controllable. My brain, as it so often does, failed me yet again.

I understand. I just want to be able to provide power and not worry about dedicated circuits and DMX and know the limits are around 10 fixtures on any constant (relay) circuits and 32 on any DMX line. Makes it efficient to provide 3 - 20 amp circuits and a DMX out at a position. Fleenor's is over $500 - a lot to throw on top of a work light. Maybe someone will put a ETC Foundry zone controller in a box with a pipe clamp please, but the the box, clamp, and receptacles are likely to double or triple the cost. Lowest cost I can find is the ColorSource relay coupled with a work light - but you can't feed through power. Does not need to be air gap relay for all work lights - unregulated solid state on and off should be fine.

Maybe knock-off pars on amazon would work for work assuming you could set it to full on and off and not have to use up 5 channels.

Another need I find - a good 1 in 2 out DMX splitter - so I can daisy chain DMX from center of a batten in both directions and meet DMX rules. RIght now still less expensive to put twice the number of nodes in a rack and two lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back