Good Downlight Color

Sylight

Hey Ya'll
I'm working on a show right now and I'm thinking about changing my down light color. At the moment it's R53. My front light is in R02 and my Sidelights are in R60,L201 with specials in R92. Any possible replacements for the R53 or should I keep it as is

Depends on the show, set colors, costume colors, personal taste, director's taste and a myriad of other factors.

So the set uses milky visqueen on tracks as sliding walls, with all the set pieces being a brushed metal. My goal for the down light system is to help model out my actors since I have no front or back light, thanks to the set tracking, so all of it is SL and DL except for a few places where I can have some front light. The best way I can describe this show( it's student written) horror film meets teen drama.My director asked for little to no color with something to help completly break us out of the world

I would pick something more saturated. Especially if you're going for a horror aspect. And just a heads up, from my experience, most if not all green looks ugly on actors and makes them look sick/ill.

for my more "saturdated" rep plot colors. I like L002. Usually for general purposes my front is R02, and my DL is R05, and my back light is one of 3 depending whatever. (R60, a Lee "medium blue", that i can't recall right now., or a Lee Light Lavender)

I always go for a good, saturated blue. It's like American Express. I never leave home without it. R79 and R80 are frequent choices. Don't look for downlight to be a major shaping tool as it adds heavy face shadows. Think of downlight as a toner.

R74 is my personal favorite. Deep blue and for the most part, black wont glow reddish under it. However, I have been known to branch out from that, so I would say if Horror is your game, Red, Green or Orangeish should probably be where you are looking. I personally think Orange might be too happy, would avoid. Purple to me is a bit more elegant, really more a Hamlet dies than Freddy kills sort of color, no?

I think personally, for a horror show, I would do some sort of blue-green downs with breakups in them focused soft, and do a ligher overlay with like 90º units with a Full CTB in there (I like AP2000 because it was available to me) and a harsh shatter or something in there, focused hard and run at 30-45%, so it will give texture to the show, and if you focus it so that its pointing more US or DS than straight down, it can make some excellent shape effects.

I would pick something more saturated. Especially if you're going for a horror aspect. And just a heads up, from my experience, most if not all green looks ugly on actors and makes them look sick/ill.

Thats probably the point. Zombies rarely look healthy and rosy for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back