Good Moving Heads for Front Light

Our school gets a grant every year, and we can order equipment especially lighting. We want to get moving heads that are great for FOH applications. I have taken into consideration the Vari Lite moving heads. And, their 4 blade system sound like it comes in handy. Are their any other lights out their we can get that do the same thing?

What are you planning to use them for? I understand the implication of "front-of-housey stuff", but can you provide specifics? Is there a type of effect you're looking for that can only be reproduced by a mover? I can (mostly) understand the utility of moving specials, but other than that, a moving head for FOH always seems like a bit of a waste unless you can get it below the catwalk.

But in any event, answering that first question will help us help you :).

Our school gets a grant every year, and we can order equipment especially lighting. We want to get moving heads that are great for FOH applications. I have taken into consideration the Vari Lite moving heads. And, their 4 blade system sound like it comes in handy. Are their any other lights out their we can get that do the same thing?

I would look at the Robe DL4S. It is an LED source--Yay, no more lamps!, bright, good color, impressive dimming, and has shutters for a reasonable price. If you have lots of money, the Robe DL7S is even better, but comes at a bigger price.

Hi Robert,
I am not a fan of the VL. They are huge fixtures. They are also very loud when they are calibrating.
I like having a few movers FOH to cover the OBTW stuff. I would not put a complete system of movers FOH before putting some as backlight.
There are a number of manufacturers that have fixtures with framing shutters. Robe, PR (repped by MegaLite in the US), Martin, and High End (also huge) immediately come to mind. Many of these are more feature loaded than the VL1100.
Keep in mind that programming fixtures with framing shutters takes longer. Just like it takes longer to focus a Source-4 than a PAR, you have more with which to deal.
I recommend contacting your usual vendor and get them to set up some demos.
Take care,
John

Purpose is important - effect, re-focusable special, or basic FOH without safe access? I'm usually interested in the later - trying to solve an existing condition where a catwalk is not possible to add, so a winched batten and remote focusing is desirable. (Also solution for people with disabilities theatre.) Have not had the project that could afford a pipe full of ETC Revolutions ... yet .... but have used Right Arms where you just need to be able to re-aim, and skip the shutter cuts.

As others have said, it entirely depends on the purpose. Taking a stab in the dark here, I'd guess that this is a high school looking to have a refocusable special at FOH, both for show usage and just to put frontlight on a talking head for assemblies. If that sounds like you, I'd actually take a look at the City Theatrical AutoYoke. It's very straightforward, just a Source Four mounted inside a moving chassis, and most people will add a color scroller/changer and DMX iris. This won't provide you with any "flash and trash", but it will make it easy to put quality face-light anywhere on the stage, and give you a wide range of colors. An iris won't be as precise as shutters, but in my experience, there are very few situations where four blades of shutters are absolutely required, and programming them takes much longer than just dialing in an iris. Additionally, these units don't require nearly as much maintenance as most other units, and they can be left on for extended periods of time without any detrimental effects - not that you should, but if you accidentally leave your AutoYoke on over the weekend, you're not going to have major problems like you would with an arc source. They're also relatively quiet, and they'll likely come in at a pretty good price point, allowing you to invest in additional gear or infrastructure, such as the cabling you'll require to many any FOH fixture work.

I love the Viper Wash DXs which are the front lights at my venue. My only complaint is the low end dimming curve is choppy. I typically run them in the low power setting, except when I am lighting a massive backdrop with a pair of them.

As far as theatrical multitaskers go, you can't go wrong with RoBe BMFL blades or the DL7S. DL7S is INSANELY quiet, which makes it a remarkably good theater fixture. Add RoBe's outstanding reliability to the mix as well as the fantastic color rendering engines on both the BMFL and the DL7S and you've got some winners.

VariLite fixtures have a track record for having internal fan issues as well as encoder/sensor issues. These issues stack up pretty quickly in a theater environment prone to dust. If you're willing to save on maintenance costs in the long run and have insanely quiet fixtures, turn to RoBe.

EDIT: In today's episode of "late-night Nathan didn't read," I just noticed that danTt already mentioned the RoBes. Ah, well, chalk up 2 pts for quality lights then!

Last edited:
Is there someone on staff that will be able to maintain these fixtures when they break. And they will break, just the nature of the beast.

IMAG0033.jpg
IMAG0034.jpg
IMAG0036.jpg
Yes, we have a 360 degree catwalk that is the appropriate height to a professional space. We want moving head movers so that we can use the etc ion light board to focus the shutters. If we get about 10 of the Robe lights then we will have versatility to focus as many times we want with same fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back