Good Network Course for our industry.

McCready00

Hello all,

I am looking for a training webinar/book/videos that would level up my knowledge on networks in our industry.

I am not talking about how to connect a console to a node here, but how big networks are built right now, and how to manage them.

I was thinking to take the Cisco classes, although, I think their ideas are too far away from our field of work.

Any trainings you found interesting, and why ?

Thank you !

+1 for @JohnHuntington books. Very in depth regarding networking and protocols but then also how they are utilized in our industry. I think any courses provided by Cisco or another IT firm is going to take you down a rabbit hole no one comes back from.

thanks everyone, i will take a look at all those links later tomorrow.

For the book, I will check it out as well.. specially if I can find it somewhere in Canada.. thanks

The guys over at X-Laser put together a VERY informative video series that really breaks things down in an understandable format. Definitely worth a look.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry I was overwhelmed with the end of the semester and out storm chasing and completely missed this thread. Thanks @derekleffew @rsmentele @What Rigger? and everyone for the kind words! The new book is available internationally and via Google ebook. Details here: https://controlgeek.net/bookinfo And if you want to support a small business in our industry Rational Acoustics is selling print copies. Thanks everyone!

John

Next stop for my copy is IATSE 504’s library! 👍

I took a Cisco CCNA class in high school when that was just starting to become a thing.... nearly 20 years on and that knowledge is still usable (minus the T1 stuff...). Best thing I ever did. I highly recommend any HS student to go and do that if its offered. Cisco stuff is hard on purpose, there are easier system to use these days. With Ubiquiti out there most of this stuff is pretty easy to manage now.

There are times when you just use pay the price and use Cisco. For example, I'm currently putting together a small network for NDI video and Dante audio. I really don't have days to spend trying to make the switches work right. Certain series of Cisco switches are well known to work well with Dante and there are tutorials on configuring them for that. No experimentation needed.

I think the fun comes in when putting NDI and Dante on the same network. Dante is pretty light weight compared to having 4 NDI streams at 1080p. When you hit 40% of the back plane bandwidth of your switch(s), it's time to look at more bandwidth and implement that improvement when you cross 50%. I like a litte extra room in my pipe...

Normally, I wouldn't put both on the same network. In this case, I'm running just a few channels of Dante, alongside five cameras. So far, it works perfectly, and it allowed me to get everything through existing conduits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back