Microphones Gooseneck mic popping

Ech725

I have a shure MX410 gooseneck mic that is used a lot in our auditorium for presentations. I keep hearing a lot of the p's popping. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to limit the popping? I've been looking into pop filters, but the filters are fairly large. I don't want something that is going to block the speakers face. I tried sticking a smaller windscreen in between the snap fit foam windscreen but it didn't do much. I think it just muffled the sound.

Is this a newly developed issue? Some of the problem may be on the presenters end and not the equipment's. Try knocking down the low end, and maybe try throwing a compressor on it to see if that does anything.

Using the high pass filter on the mixer channel makes plosives less annoying, but it cannot get rid of them. Pulling up the windscreen to leave a small air space between the foam windscreen and the mic grill can be very effective in reducing pops. Just a 1/4" makes quite a difference.

If that doesn't work, I would switch from the Shure windscreen to an aftermarket one, such as a Windtech. Yes, it will be a little fatter, but that's better than an ineffective one. No one else will notice.

In my experience, those mics need to be aimed at the talker's mouth at about 45-degrees and spoken OVER, not into. The talker should be about 4"-6" from the mic.

Those two things, in combination, should be enough to alleviate those pops.

The times I've had popping issues on a microphone it's always been on a lecturn mic. Usually people have them too close to their mouth. Even if it is correctly positioned ( at least 6 inches away) presenters move the mic close as if it's a hand held. These mics are generally very sensitive and are not designed to be used close.
When correctly EQ'd I can have a lecturn mic pickup up a presenter from 3 feet away, so no matter where they stand or which way they face, you can hear them.
That's how sensitive they are.

Short answer; the mic is too close to the person speaking, move it away from their mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back