Grammy Award "Pallas Lights"

Hello all! I am wondering if anyone on here can tell me where I can look up stuff on the little globe lights used in the Grammy Awards and I have actually also seen them at a Mumford and Sons concert. My sister in an interior designer and saw them on TV and wants to see if she can use them for a project of hers/ just find out more about them. I have googled what PLSN has on the gear list and a while bunch of random lighting stuff comes up and not other variations of searches including grammy awards and "pallas lights" yield any results.

PLSN | Lighting the Grammy Awards <--- this is the article that has the gear list on the bottom.

Thanks in advance for the help finding them!

I think you're confusing two different luminaires here.

The Strand (Ianiro/Quartzcolor) Pallas ( Strand Archive - Pallas ) is an asymmetric-reflector cyc light, floor mounted, which Mr. Dickinson and other TV award show designers use on the floor with a heavy diffusion media to light the front row of the audience.

As to the globe lights, I've brought this thread to the attention of one of our members who worked on the Grammy Awards, so hopefully he can respond with more info that specific bulb/lamp.

These?
9226-grammy-award-pallas-lights-mumford-sons-i-will-wait-grammys-2013-performance-watch-now-02.jpg

From the PLSN article:
Huge skypans — film lighting units with an upraised ridge around the outside used when massive, raw illumination power is demanded — joined light pods made up of “lots” of incandescent bulbs, in the estimation of one of the assistant lighting directors who had given up trying to count them, blasted the floor seating area from behind the band.

Attachments

• mumford-sons-i-will-wait-grammys-2013-performance-watch-now-02.jpg
    mumford-sons-i-will-wait-grammys-2013-performance-watch-now-02.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Are you speaking of the globes that were suspended over the audience? We called them "festoons". They are simply regular 50w A lamps, in this case shatterproof ones, that were attached to a stringer, similar to this 100' Commercial Linear Light String Strand - Medium Base Suspended - Black - Festival Indoor/Outdoor Lighting - Oogalights.com - More Than 1,000 Party & String Light Bulbs!.

The Mumford and Sons tour uses a similar concept, but each globe is a led sphere that they map video across. XL Video Supplies Over 2500 FX-200 LED Spheres to Mumford & Sons Tour

Hope this helps!

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the she is looking for something along the lines of the second link. She just saw them and they caught her eye and now wants to use them. Thanks for al the help hunting these down!

I don't believe I said anything along the lines of giving up trying to count them to whoever wrote that article... :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back