GrandMA dot2 PC + 3D Questions

For our major conference that happens every year, there seems to be a trend of having to learn a new Console in a matter of days. This time I got the notice 3 weeks in advance. From the title, you know what system I am running. I am reading through the manuals and watching the tutorial videos on how to run it. I have a few questions that after a few hours of searching I can't seem to find answers for. Either I am blind or have over looked something:

1. I know that the 3D software allows us to preview how videos look on surfaces of your objects. Would this preview also run to your actual fixtures and outputs like video walls when connected?

2. Can you drop a pre-rendered/created 3D document into the program and map out all of the fixture channels? Or do you need to recreate your entire stage from scratch?

3. I am assuming all of the work that you do in the PC version of the program can be loaded onto an actual dot2 console. Will the Media Library information transfer over with everything or will the original PC be needed to connect to the console?

I may have other questions as some are being answered. Thank you all so much in advance for your help.

*EDIT*
4. Does this console have Inhibitors for your fixtures? Like limit how high you can put the intensity? We are using some of the same fixtures as last year like the Platinum 5R and I do not want to accidentally hurt someone or lite something on fire because of how strong the light is.

*EDIT*
5. Does the dot 2 3D software work similarly to the GrandMA 2 Software? I have been looking for specifics and haven't found anything besides how to connect it to the program on the same pc and small stuff like that.

Last edited:
First off, down load both of the programs from here http://www.actlighting.com/downloads/ , You want the onPC and the 3D software.

1. I know that the 3D software allows us to preview how videos look on surfaces of your objects. Would this preview also run to your actual fixtures and outputs like video walls when connected?

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but I think the answer is no. Getting Video into 3D is not the easiest thing to setup, It really depends on your playback source. I think the only way to get video in is still CITP streaming, but i'm not positive.

2. Can you drop a pre-rendered/created 3D document into the program and map out all of the fixture channels? Or do you need to recreate your entire stage from scratch?

All of your fixture information in the visualizer is actually being pulled directly from the console show file, fixture position and everything. You can add element such a stage, piano, seating, or import a drawing made in a cad program, etc. There is a plugin to load a plot from VectorWorks into MA2, but I don't believe it works with dot2

3. I am assuming all of the work that you do in the PC version of the program can be loaded onto an actual dot2 console. Will the Media Library information transfer over with everything or will the original PC be needed to connect to the console?

The file from the PC version can be loaded onto a real console and work 100%. no need for the PC. Just save it on a USB stick, and stick it into a console.

I may have other questions as some are being answered. Thank you all so much in advance for your help.

*EDIT*
4. Does this console have Inhibitors for your fixtures? Like limit how high you can put the intensity? We are using some of the same fixtures as last year like the Platinum 5R and I do not want to accidentally hurt someone or lite something on fire because of how strong the light is.

Yes the are called "group masters." Basically you can program with dimmer values at full, the make a group master for your 5R group, and set it to 80%, when you playback cues with those fixtures the intensity will only get to 80%

*EDIT*
5. Does the dot 2 3D software work similarly to the GrandMA 2 Software? I have been looking for specifics and haven't found anything besides how to connect it to the program on the same pc and small stuff like that.

The dot2 was built on the same structure as MA2, but has been striped of its complexity by about 90%, and the user interface has been simplified.

MA2 is the most powerful desk on the market, but it also has a very steep learning curve. Also the average/casual MA2 user probably only uses 10-20% of the consoles advanced programming capability.
The dot2 basically just kept the most used 10% of features and made them much easier to use.

The 3d visualizer is built on the same basic platform as well.

Download the software and take it for a test drive. It actually guides you through everything when first start

Also here is a link to the official dot2 forum, http://forum.ma-dot2.com/

Another question! I know that other GrandMA models have the ability, that once inside a new venue, can center all of their focus palettes in one action. Is that possible with the Dot 2?

Are you talking about updating presets? Like you show up and the drum riser is 5 feet further up stage than normal, so you have to update your positions? I think, you are thinking of embedded presets, where you can update the drum riser preset, and it automatically updates other presets that are reference that preset. I do not think that is a feature of the dot 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back