Gray / Sepia Gels

LPdan

For some reason the search function isn't working for me, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I'm looking for gel color recommendations for the opening of Wizard of Oz. I have S4s and some overhead PARS. I have never worked with gray or sepia gels, any thoughts on how they look or considerations?
Thanks!

For some reason the search function isn't working for me, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I'm looking for gel color recommendations for the opening of Wizard of Oz. I have S4s and some overhead PARS. I have never worked with gray or sepia gels, any thoughts on how they look or considerations?
Thanks!
@LPdan Personally, I've found the grays read as cool while the chocolate and light chocolate read as warms.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

There was a collaborative article in the Wiki about this, but it is having issues now, BUT:
@dvsDave is on top of the issue.

The gray gels are "neutral density" made for lowering intensity without affecting color/color temperature. If you're trying for monochrome, then you need to considerably limit the wavelengths of light coming through your gel (or, multicolor LEDs can be really good at this). That's easy to do with a very saturated primary color, but the physics and physiology of the matter make it tough to do and still wind up with something that reads as white-ish light in the manner of B&W/sepia film. I think the best way is to coordinate with costumes, makeup and scenery to make everything the same hue - specifically a hue that closely matches whatever hue or range of hues you have in performers' skin. Eliminate hue contrast in the pigment on stage as completely as possible before you light it, and then you don't have to perform a miracle with the lighting - just pick something that does a reasonable job at killing color without being too saturated. Look at the SED curves in your swatchbook for clues and then try a few. R99 and L17 work okay for that sepia look, but then again if you're already making everything on stage some version of "skin tone" then you might find that alters what color of light is needed to produce the same effect.

When designing with no hue contrast, value contrast turns into a very big deal. Everyone's got to be in communication designing costumes that don't disappear into the scenery and so on. Lighting can't repair all of those issues either.

The gray gels are "neutral density" made for lowering intensity without affecting color/color temperature. If you're trying for monochrome, then you need to considerably limit the wavelengths of light coming through your gel (or, multicolor LEDs can be really good at this). That's easy to do with a very saturated primary color, but the physics and physiology of the matter make it tough to do and still wind up with something that reads as white-ish light in the manner of B&W/sepia film. I think the best way is to coordinate with costumes, makeup and scenery to make everything the same hue - specifically a hue that closely matches whatever hue or range of hues you have in performers' skin. Eliminate hue contrast in the pigment on stage as completely as possible before you light it, and then you don't have to perform a miracle with the lighting - just pick something that does a reasonable job at killing color without being too saturated. Look at the SED curves in your swatchbook for clues and then try a few. R99 and L17 work okay for that sepia look, but then again if you're already making everything on stage some version of "skin tone" then you might find that alters what color of light is needed to produce the same effect.

When designing with no hue contrast, value contrast turns into a very big deal. Everyone's got to be in communication designing costumes that don't disappear into the scenery and so on. Lighting can't repair all of those issues either.

Fully agree. I've been around this show several times... and every time this comes up and they look at lighting the answer is "Gray is not a color of light" and "Not my department". Scenic and costumes are where the ball falls on this one. You can light it with no color and flat... but... pretty much thats it. R99 is really just a dirty amber. It looks great but it won't make something with color look like it doesn't have any... and the eye always adjusts to white anyway.

We've had some success for effects like this using a combination of set, costume, makeup, and the lowest CRI fixtures we can find. Low pressure sodium vapor fixtures do a magnificent job of destroying any color on stage. Not from a show, but this reference picture gives you a good idea of what you can achieve.
@cbrandt VERY interesting. May I enquire who KoolCoon is? (And how his flesh tones appear under mercury vapor and high pressure sodium lighting??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I've always wanted to do this effect with LPS as well. Living close to San Jose, California which seems to have tons of LPS street lights, and being a driver of a bright red car that is impossible to find at night in a parking lot, love the photometrics of a light that effectively turns every color to poop.

I lit this show last summer using a mostly LED rig but conventionals for basic frontlight. I used R02 as a front and blended similar light amber from the sides and top I kept no color....its easier to go for the sepia world with lights - as has been stated, Gray isn't a lighting color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back