Great Theater support in Rochester

dbaxter

Premium Member
This never happened before - we just sold out the entire 13 performance run of Avenue Q before we've even opened! Admittedly we're only a 126 seat theater, but I still must applaud the support our city gives to theater.

However, as a discussion topic, the newspaper said they won't be sending anyone to review the show, saying "What's the point?".

But I'm still pleased anyway. (maybe now we can get those new speakers...)

Sorry but pro, school, community, other? If I should know, my apologies. I can grasp newspaper might not review all educational productions.

But congratulations in any case!

That's a really ... underwhelming ... attitude from the newspaper. I get "what's the point," as in, you're sold out so you can't possibly sell more tickets, so you don't need the boost a good review might provide. But, actors use reviews for their own publicity, and solid support from the media helps secure grants and other fundraising proposals ... plus, a newspaper clipping in the lobby helps support the newspaper when visitors come in.

Bill, we are professional, but not Equity. We all get a little stipend per show. You may recall some of the sets from the "Pictures of Shows" forum. What's also interesting is that Bridges of Madison County just opened at the local JCC and Steel Magnolias is running at our Equity house GEVA at the same time. People have lots of options here.

That was my thinking, theatricalmatt, that it's not all advertising, but should be something to give us a perspective from an independent source.

Sadly, I wasn't even going to touch on the art of writing a review, since that's a literary form that I think has mostly disappeared. Most newspapers settle for "this happened," rather than critical thought, criticism, or insight.

“What’s the point?”

Excitement builds momentum. Encourages donations. Pushes people to secure tickets to future events through season memberships. Moves the business away from "Let's build the show and then recoup our costs" to "We have $xxx cash on-hand for this show and only need to sell x seats to break even, but if we sell y seats we hit our target profit."

You don't need a paper review for this though. You can do build on this for future shows through social media and email blasts. If you build that social media presence and decide to add a couple shows, it's easier to announce quickly and sell those tickets out too.

Funny you should say that, Mike. That's exactly what happened. We added two shows on Monday, put them out there and 3 days later they're sold. Earlier this year we hired a "Marketing and Outreach Manager". I guess she's doing her job!

Congratulations Dave! It's always great to see hard work and art be appreciated... at least by the audience!

Most small to mid sized newspapers have a hard time finding content to fill the pages and will write about anything that comes their way, especially if you do some of the legwork for them by collecting all the info in one spot. Heck the fact you sold out 13 shows is newsworthy and should make people buy their tix earlier for the next show. Must be a lot going on in town that they don't have room for the show story.

Most small to mid sized newspapers have a hard time finding content to fill the pages and will write about anything that comes their way, especially if you do some of the legwork for them by collecting all the info in one spot. Heck the fact you sold out 13 shows is newsworthy and should make people buy their tix earlier for the next show. Must be a lot going on in town that they don't have room for the show story.

Our local paper isn't even local anymore. They have a team of 3 reporters covering an entire county and a main city of 36,000. Its put together, edited and printed 70 miles away. What we found after those changes were made is yes, they are desperate for fill but they have no one to write it. Have your marketing people put together a well worded press release in the style of an newspaper article. Send it to every person you have contact for. 9 out of 10 times here, they just publish the press release as submitted.

*edited for countless typos

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back