Greatest Sound Check Song

My ears arn't so great but I use Radiohead. Either OK Computer or In Rainbows.

Mostly because I know every note on those two albums by heart.

Really depends for me, and I've used some of the ones listed above.

One More kiss dear - Vangelis (Blade Runner Soundtrack)
Blade Runner End Title
Something from Pink Floyd's The Wall
Deeper Well - The Wailin' Jennys (actually I very often use the whole **** demo CD from them. Got their Demo after doing sound for them a few times and have loved it since)

I also use some various other things. Some Brian MacNeil, Finger Eleven, Ramones, The Clash, etc.

I was the board op for a production of A Question of Mercy, about Physician assisted suicide. The designer chose Sean Kingston's "Beautiful Girls" for speaker check. Good times!

I usually use Pink Floyds album "The Pulse" Usually Shine on you crazy diamond. It depends on the show...I usually use the sound effects I get together for the show too. But sometimes its "I gotta feeling" -Black Eyed Peas. Or "Replay" -IYAZ. I like shaking the school! :twisted:

I really like The Harshest Place on Earth from the March of the Penguins soundtrack by Alex Wurman. Really nice highs and lows.

Right now i'm using Brooklyn by Youngblood Brass Band... Gets me a little more energized in the morning when i come in to work.

Since this thread seems to be morphing, I Just wanted to point out that the original post was about the sound check song "that made people just look at you as if you were crazy" and not about what you might use for a serious sound check. There's also a difference between what one might use as a source for a sound check versus what one might use to tune a system or pass the time and between what one might use for a sound check of a live performance versus one consisting primarily of playback, so when you get into more serious suggestions it seems that the application would be a major factor.

Martin Hayes on fiddle and Dennis Cayhill on guitar work well for mids, or the Kane sisters.
The violin is a very evocative instrument.
If you can hear it cleanly through the system, then the vocal range is well covered.
That's most of what you really need.

If you are one of those sub-woofer fanatics, try the dinosaur cuts from Jurassic Park.

I always use Lucy in the sky with diamonds by the Beatles, It always gets a few laughs and hey why not rock out while your doing sound check. Another fav is the imperial march from star wars.

Loadout/Stay by Jackson Browne is my all time favorite.
The ultimate Roadie anthem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back