greeding, fellow unseen artists

my name's Trey, and I'm a techie. :):group:: Hi Trey!) Haha I'm a freshman in college and have been doing theatre since 8th grade. Throughout high school, I mainly acted, usually small roles, and kind of fell into doing tech when I got bored. It was only during my junior and senior years that I began to fully realize the power the Dark Side had to offer, and that I was far better putting my skills to work off stage than I ever was on. My senior year in high school I began to focus on lights, and am now in college studying just that. I'm at Collin College (formerly Collin County Community College) and plan to major in design, focusing mainly on lights. I have been looking into possibly transferring to Marymount Manhattan College after I get my associates (and figure out a way to pay for the next level of school lol).

And that's me, in a nutshell. =D

Re: greetings, fellow unseen artists

Welcome to the Dark Side... and The Booth! I think you'll find that most people around here agree that if you are smart you won't specialize to lighting just yet. The more you know about other aspects of theater the more marketable skills you will have. There is a time to specialize, but it's not until later in college. So push yourself to try to get a little experience in sound, the shop, props, etc... You will be a better technician in the long run because of that variety now.

Get to know the search function, there's a lot of great information buried in the archives.

Welcome to the Booth! Gaff said most of it, but yes, the dark side is quite alluring. :grin:

Re: greetings, fellow unseen artists

Welcome to the Dark Side... and The Booth! I think you'll find that most people around here agree that if you are smart you won't specialize to lighting just yet. The more you know about other aspects of theater the more marketable skills you will have. There is a time to specialize, but it's not until later in college. So push yourself to try to get a little experience in sound, the shop, props, etc... You will be a better technician in the long run because of that variety now.

Get to know the search function, there's a lot of great information buried in the archives.

well i am interested in learning about the other aspects, but light design is something i'm passionate about. but i know its a lot easier to get a foot in the door of the industry if my skills are more diversified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back