Greeting from Flyover country

Shoottv

I've been lurking for a while but decided to finally register because I had a question.

I teach high school technical theatre at large suburban school. I'm 51 years old and I've only been teaching 2 years. It's fun to be back doing what I love 30 years after my high school years.

Went to college for tech specializing in lighting design, worked for a couple of years then spent about 16 years in Television production. After my last show was canceled I got involved in medical operations now I can afford to teach what I love in a public school.

I'm very blessed to only teach technical and design classes and have a department chair who teaches the acting side. I have a professional staff that works my performing arts center so in there I only have to design and build but they handle the facility. Additionally I have a small black box theatre.

Lucky to have ion consoles and martin led's and some Chauvet and Phillips LED's in addition to conventional fixtures.

A pretty good college quality scene shop rounds out the facility.

I love working with the kids and showing them why I love theatre and tech so much.

I'm just starting to work on a 2020ish bond issue for a multi million dollar upgrade to the facility and fixtures.

Ford

Sr Product Manager, Chauvet Professional
Hi Shoottv,
Welcome. As you think about your facility upgrades, one major consideration should be Data infrastructure. As TCP/IP becomes more facile than straight DMX, and also supports new COM systems (in addition to lighting, and even audio), having a robust internal network is going to be one investment that will payoff for the long-haul.

Again, welcome, and I'm looking forward to hearing how your "new career" goes.

Van

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Which Suburb? I'm from BA originally, and @JohnD is out Mid-state.

JohnD

Fight Leukemia
Well Hello T-town. Some other Okies here are @microstar from Lawton and @JCBigler also from Tulsa. Welcome aboard.

Reactions: Van

JCBigler

Hello Shoottv. I'm in Tulsa, head audio at the Tulsa PAC. I'm guessing you are at either BA, Jenks, Union or Owasso?

We have a full staff here and if you need any advice on what the pros are doing or how to do it I would be happy to get you in touch with our lighting and carpentry department heads.

MRW Lights

Welcome Shoottv. I traded my pickup north of the Kansas state line right there in the tristate area for a new york city subway. One of the reasons I love working in theater is that no matter where you are you're never far from your friends. I have friends at BA and Jenks still. Shout to @JCBigler and the Tulsa PAC keep up the great work!

Reactions: Van

JohnD

Fight Leukemia

Users who are viewing this thread