The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Greeting from Flyover country

Discussion in 'New Member Board' started by Shoottv, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Shoottv

Shoottv New Member

I've been lurking for a while but decided to finally register because I had a question.

I teach high school technical theatre at large suburban school. I'm 51 years old and I've only been teaching 2 years. It's fun to be back doing what I love 30 years after my high school years.

Went to college for tech specializing in lighting design, worked for a couple of years then spent about 16 years in Television production. After my last show was canceled I got involved in medical operations now I can afford to teach what I love in a public school.

I'm very blessed to only teach technical and design classes and have a department chair who teaches the acting side. I have a professional staff that works my performing arts center so in there I only have to design and build but they handle the facility. Additionally I have a small black box theatre.

Lucky to have ion consoles and martin led's and some Chauvet and Phillips LED's in addition to conventional fixtures.

A pretty good college quality scene shop rounds out the facility.

I love working with the kids and showing them why I love theatre and tech so much.

I'm just starting to work on a 2020ish bond issue for a multi million dollar upgrade to the facility and fixtures.

Jay Ashworth likes this.
  2. dbaxter

dbaxter Active Member Premium Member

Welcome to the forum, but I'm not seeing your question. It does seem like you've settled in a good place.

3. Quillons

Quillons Member

Mechanical Engineering Student
    Hello fellow flyover!

4. Ford

Ford Sr Product Manager, Chauvet Professional

Product guy
    Hi Shoottv,
    Welcome. As you think about your facility upgrades, one major consideration should be Data infrastructure. As TCP/IP becomes more facile than straight DMX, and also supports new COM systems (in addition to lighting, and even audio), having a robust internal network is going to be one investment that will payoff for the long-haul.

Again, welcome, and I'm looking forward to hearing how your "new career" goes.

5. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Which Suburb? I'm from BA originally, and @JohnD is out Mid-state.

6. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Well Hello T-town. Some other Okies here are @microstar from Lawton and @JCBigler also from Tulsa. Welcome aboard.

Van likes this.
  7. JCBigler

JCBigler Member

Sound Engineer
    Hello Shoottv. I'm in Tulsa, head audio at the Tulsa PAC. I'm guessing you are at either BA, Jenks, Union or Owasso?

We have a full staff here and if you need any advice on what the pros are doing or how to do it I would be happy to get you in touch with our lighting and carpentry department heads.

Van, RonHebbard and JohnD like this.
  8. MRW Lights

MRW Lights Active Member

Welcome Shoottv. I traded my pickup north of the Kansas state line right there in the tristate area for a new york city subway. One of the reasons I love working in theater is that no matter where you are you're never far from your friends. I have friends at BA and Jenks still. Shout to @JCBigler and the Tulsa PAC keep up the great work!

Van likes this.
  9. Shoottv

Shoottv New Member

I'm at Union

Van likes this.
  10. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

Yup: you forgot the question. :)

Welcome To The Jungle.

11. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia