Greeting from Flyover country

Shoottv

I've been lurking for a while but decided to finally register because I had a question.

I teach high school technical theatre at large suburban school. I'm 51 years old and I've only been teaching 2 years. It's fun to be back doing what I love 30 years after my high school years.

Went to college for tech specializing in lighting design, worked for a couple of years then spent about 16 years in Television production. After my last show was canceled I got involved in medical operations now I can afford to teach what I love in a public school.

I'm very blessed to only teach technical and design classes and have a department chair who teaches the acting side. I have a professional staff that works my performing arts center so in there I only have to design and build but they handle the facility. Additionally I have a small black box theatre.

Lucky to have ion consoles and martin led's and some Chauvet and Phillips LED's in addition to conventional fixtures.

A pretty good college quality scene shop rounds out the facility.

I love working with the kids and showing them why I love theatre and tech so much.

I'm just starting to work on a 2020ish bond issue for a multi million dollar upgrade to the facility and fixtures.

Welcome to the forum, but I'm not seeing your question. It does seem like you've settled in a good place.

Hi Shoottv,
Welcome. As you think about your facility upgrades, one major consideration should be Data infrastructure. As TCP/IP becomes more facile than straight DMX, and also supports new COM systems (in addition to lighting, and even audio), having a robust internal network is going to be one investment that will payoff for the long-haul.

Again, welcome, and I'm looking forward to hearing how your "new career" goes.

Which Suburb? I'm from BA originally, and @JohnD is out Mid-state.

Well Hello T-town. Some other Okies here are @microstar from Lawton and @JCBigler also from Tulsa. Welcome aboard.

Reactions: Van
Hello Shoottv. I'm in Tulsa, head audio at the Tulsa PAC. I'm guessing you are at either BA, Jenks, Union or Owasso?

We have a full staff here and if you need any advice on what the pros are doing or how to do it I would be happy to get you in touch with our lighting and carpentry department heads.

Welcome Shoottv. I traded my pickup north of the Kansas state line right there in the tristate area for a new york city subway. One of the reasons I love working in theater is that no matter where you are you're never far from your friends. I have friends at BA and Jenks still. Shout to @JCBigler and the Tulsa PAC keep up the great work!

Reactions: Van

Users who are viewing this thread

Back