Greetings from a Hardcore Hobbiest

curtg

I stumbled upon this site. I have been building set for my local schools and community theater groups for 20 years.
In my area I am considered the styrofoam king. The problem is I am self taught. I am hoping to learn from more formally trained members.

Curtis

Our school nearly own stock in a foam isulation company, we use so much of it. i must say, it really is an are to turn foam into beutiful sets.

Welcome to Controlbooth.

I hate to disappoint, but not all of us are formally trained. And in my opinion, it does not matter. Whether you learnt how to do something through a formal training program or you took the pieces and learnt how they went together, you can still add a lot to a discussion. The mix between "trained" and "untrained" means that a variety of different solutions will often arise to a given problem, some based on theory and others on practical experience.

And kingfisher, would it not make sense also to have stocks in a battery company?

Again welcome.

Questions are what it's all about ! Welcome to the Board ! Ask away !

i don't know, can build too many sets with baterries! just kidding.

We've built soo many things with foam, a car for grease, an entire enlih murder mystery thing, a theater box, every show has the signiture pink foam in it.

i don't know, can build too many sets with baterries! just kidding.
We've built soo many things with foam, a car for grease, an entire enlih murder mystery thing, a theater box, every show has the signiture pink foam in it.

I said "also"...

Welcome!! I second the thought that learning by doing is nothing to be ashamed of. Not all of us were lucky enough to be able to go to school for something that we love. If there wasn't the exposure somewhere in people's past to technical aspects it is my impression that most people think it is just kind of "magic" how shows happen!!

Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you can. Also, stray into some of the other threads. If you could figure out set building by doing, you probably would be great at sound, lights, SM, .....

Dennis

I am self taught and now as i leave the school i need to train someone on how to operate sound and it's a hard job teaching some one everything you know

i tend to come to the bump in's and sit there doing homework and if they have any questions then they can ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back