Greetings from Southwestern Indiana

ahoffman50

Hello folks!

My name is Andy and I am actively involved in area high school and community theatre. I am a hotel front desk agent most evenings and dedicate most of my free time to theatre. My partner and I serve on the board of directors for our local community theatre. I do most of the graphic design work and serve on the marketing committee. My partner serves on the events committee and dabbles in acting. As the events coordinator for a local scenic railway, he produces several events and productions on the train. Their biggest production is the Polar Express featuring pixel mapped Christmas lights. He also directs one musical that runs at the end of February each year at one high school with my best friend as the music director (he is the choir teacher there) and follows it up with a play that runs in the middle of May at another high school. I help him with technical direction, graphic design (a half dozen dinosaur banners are coming soon!), and purchasing decisions. This summer he is producing Into the Woods for our community theatre.

Throughout the week, my typical day is spent in the choir classroom doing facilities management stuff with sound and lights to help keep the theatre organized. Then after school, I go to my "day job" at the hotel until 11. If I have something pressing I will stay up late and do graphic design work or research the best way to handle technical situations.

Both high schools offer technical challenges although, the one I volunteer at has made some vast strides. It still has an old hub electric lighting system from 1971. We are working to replace it with a modern DMX controlled system. The other one has a cafegymnatorium with a tiny stage and the only lighting system they have installed are fluorescent overhead lights. This year we are doing Almost, Maine. Of course, lighting is gonna be an issue. We have purchased a dozen Chauvet 56 pars and controlling them with an Obey 70. I am thinking of several options for the northern lights. I am thinking of getting some Rosco Reflector attached to some fans and throwing some light against it to bounce on the backdrop which is just a winter scene from Grosh. I am worried though that since they are wash lights and not spots, it won't work the way I want it to, but I really don't have a choice of lighting. Although, I might be able to talk him into getting an intimidator, but he doesn't want to spend that much more.

Welcome. I have a number of projects in that area. Evansville North, Gibson North (Princeton), and the Vanderburgh Auditorium, Henderson CC across the River, and May Studio Theatre at U of E. A few other small projects IIRC.

It just happens that we are looking into a lighting rehaul in Huntingburg and are in the exploratory phase right now. I would love to get your perspective if it is convenient for you sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back