hand-held smoke effect

tdtastic

Looking for good ideas for creating a small, hand-held smoke effect. I want to use a heating element and fog liquid to give the look of a little smoke -- Do not want to go the direction of pyro/smoke powders, etc. I have seen some homemade devices that utilize an old e cigarette for the heating element.
This is for a production of Little Women when one of the girls burns off her hair with a curling iron -- the director would like there to be a small cloud of smoke that can generate from the the curling iron. Any and all ideas welcome!!!

Though not inexpensive, if you want to keep it safe, I'd suggest building your prop around the Tiny CX fogger from Look Solutions. I have held them in my hand and had the smoke blow directly on me and can vouch for it being safe. Anything you build with a heating element that will be that close to human contact will have a much higher degree of liability.

Anyone ever use this unit? I found it on Amazon and know nothing about it.

Anyone ever use this unit? I found it on Amazon and know nothing about it.

Ive heard of it, however never used it myself. Heard mixed reviews about it to be honest. I was looking into getting one for a show and ended up using the fogger we already had with some accoutrements.
When I was looking into it was given a lot of mixed reviews. Some people loved them, while others complained about build quality and reliability.

I use the Wizard Stick, you can pick them up for about $20 and it's pretty much the same thing as the Dragon Puffer. The only problem there is no way to trigger it remotely. I have rigged one to use with a hose and a syring to trigger is from a couple of feet. It does have a decent fog output and also has an LED that lights up the fog for added effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back