Design Hang Tape, the easy way

So my suite of lighting paperwork preparation utilities is made up of LxFree, Microsoft Excel, paint.net, and pen and paper. Thus, in situations where I need to prepare hang tape, I must do it by hand on sticky notes/cue cards. Does anyone know of a free piece of software that can somewhat automate the process and produce nice looking printed ones? Help would be appreciated.

Maybe it just means using the tools you're currently using differently.

You're using Excel, so I imagine that you're creating a spreadsheet that contains each information on each light -- position, dimmer, channel, color and template, and so on. You should be able to create a worksheet that formats that information in a print-friendly way. Some people print out on address labels, then put those onto register tape at the correct positions; I've heard some people print straight onto adding machine tape.

You should be able to do it with MS word. You will be doing a mail merge to get the cards. In a nut shell you will use your excel file as the address book. But Word is flexible enough to read the column headers and see what you are working with. In Word set the paper size to be that of an index card ( or what ever you want) and lay out the card as needed. Once you set it up once you can save the file and as long as you use the same columns for the next show all you have to do is click print and feed the cards into your printer.

There are a ton of articles on mail merges based around office type work but they are easily applied to this sort of thing. Not sure if you can do it straight out of excel though.

Side note. Excel, I've found, is very time consuming versus a program like LightWright. There's a free demo (only lets you plot 75 lights) but it's still better than excel in my opinion.

This may not be helpful or practical for you, but here's how I do it for shows using additional software. I can export data from Vectorworks to Lightwright which includes X coordinates (for positions that run L/R - less useful for non-proscenium spaces). Then I can export from Lightwright to FileMaker Pro, where I have labels set up that include whatever information I want to display, including the X dimension. Then finally, I can print onto address labels from FileMaker. I can give this big stack of labels to someone along with a roll of Sheetrock tape and my hang tapes can be done quickly, without paperwork, and using nothing but a tape measure. For my part, the entire process from opening the Vectorworks file to printing the labels takes less than a minute.

I don't know anything about LxFree, but if there's some way to export data, you could potentially try this same thing into excel. I assume you already do something like this for making paperwork, but if you add on the X coordinate, you can include this in the instrument schedule. Personally, if I didn't have FileMaker to make my labels, I'd probably just hand someone an Instrument Schedule including the X coordinates and have them hand-write the tapes. Whether this was practical would depend on how you prep your shows - many of my shows are highly prepped such that I can just write "1E #1" on the hang tape and there's already a fixture pre-labeled with the color, template, circuit, channel, accessory, correct type, etc. that someone can just hang. If you were pulling from a house stock that hadn't been prepped at all and needed all that information on the tapes, then writing all that data on the hang tape might be too time consuming, and perhaps you could explore a way of making labels in excel or word or some other process.

Incidentally, I've done one or two shows where I didn't have a Vectorworks drawing (hand drafting or just a PDF), and I've still found it beneficial to go through and enter the dimensions into my paperwork by hand. It's time-consuming, but it allows me to use my printed hang tape labels and lets me cable the show with one less document. Of course, these numbers become outdated about 30 seconds after you get the plot once the designer starts to change everything, but that's just how it goes.

I can export data from Vectorworks to Lightwright which includes X coordinates (for positions that run L/R - less useful for non-proscenium spaces).

I turned my boss onto AutoPlot tools for those non SL/SR positions. I experimented with it briefly at my last job, but since that was a proscenium space it didn't really add much that Vectorworks didn't already do for us.

Anyways, current job (thrust) it's very helpful, though clunky at times. It's the "Dim from click" tool in 2013, or "Hanging Tape" tool in 2015 combined with "Put Dimension in User Field".

I turned my boss onto AutoPlot tools for those non SL/SR positions. I experimented with it briefly at my last job, but since that was a proscenium space it didn't really add much that Vectorworks didn't already do for us.

Anyways, current job (thrust) it's very helpful, though clunky at times. It's the "Dim from click" tool in 2013, or "Hanging Tape" tool in 2015 combined with "Put Dimension in User Field".

I've heard of AutoPlot but never used it or found any of its tools particularly important. But that might just change my mind - thanks for the tip!

I wonder why the term wasn't automatically wikilinked... thanks.
I wondered the same thing, if you mouse over it, it is clickable, but doesn't look like it. But who is going to slowly mouse over every word in a post, although that sort of makes it like easter eggs in games. :)

Maybe it just means using the tools you're currently using differently.

You're using Excel, so I imagine that you're creating a spreadsheet that contains each information on each light -- position, dimmer, channel, color and template, and so on.

Well, I use LxFree for most of the channel/address/#/color/gobo ect, but excel gets used to track misc data (focus, shutters ect)

I am not sure whether I can export from LxFree reports. I will try. The MS word mail merge looks interesting. Will also check out FileMaker and AutoPlot. I have looked at LightWright but I don't know how I feel about using a demo version on actual shows.
Thanks for the help. :)

Well, I use LxFree for most of the channel/address/#/color/gobo ect, but excel gets used to track misc data (focus, shutters ect)

I am not sure whether I can export from LxFree reports. I will try. The MS word mail merge looks interesting. Will also check out FileMaker and AutoPlot. I have looked at LightWright but I don't know how I feel about using a demo version on actual shows.
Thanks for the help. :)

The demo version is entirely, 100% identical to the full version - except that it only allows 75 lines of data (lights). I used it on a number of small shows when I was in high school and couldn't afford anything. I've since bought the full version, and I can say unequivocally that it is the most valuable software I use for my job. I know many people do fine work without it, but now that I've gotten used to it and seen how much easier it is for me to work, there is nothing that could make me give it up. If you do decide at some point to buy it, it's absolutely worth every penny and then some.

The mail merge worked brilliantly with data exported from LxFree.
Thank you very much for all the help. :D

I'm working on an app called Paperwork that should be ready in a month or two (basically Lightwright in the cloud)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back