Microphones Hanging Condenser Mics

I seem to remeber us having some Audio Technica ES 933s in high school, they worked well when I used them but that was a while ago. Having an RTA software to adequately clear out a lot of your feedback issues can be helpful so you can get the more out of them, also its handy for catching feedback live.

We also had a few trusty Crown PCC 160's (floor mics) those are awesome and pretty much indestructible.

How big is the stage? How far away are the performers? What are the performers performing (band, chorus, drama, etc.)? Is it for reinforcement or recording?

Personally (and IMHO), I find overheads for reinforcement to be about as useful as dropping a brick on my head. Depending on your space, they are a pain to position to find that sweet spot of GBF, and usually don't ever reproduce enough for anyone to be happy. For recording they can be awesome. For reinforcement of large acoustic groups I much prefer using a pair of condensers placed as close to the ensemble as possible on tall boom stands so you capture wider swatch of the reflected and direct sound. This is especially important for bands and orchestras where your sound sources aren't all facing down center stage. However, YMMV as the saying goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back