Hanging Illusion

On other lists and boards, Rescue Tape has been getting a lot of mention lately as an emergency repair item. Makes me want to get some and try it out.

proxy.php

Rescue Tape is a self-fusing silicone repair product with infinite uses. First used by the US Military and now seen at consumer and industrial trade shows across America, this is the most versatile and easy-to-use emergency repair product available. You can repair leaks on plumbing and hoses in a flash, use to insulate electrical wiring or as shrink wrap, wrap tool handles, and much, much more.

On other lists and boards, Rescue Tape has been getting a lot of mention lately as an emergency repair item. Makes me want to get some and try it out.

Got a roll recently, and seems like nice stuff, though I haven't tried it on an active pneumatic or liquid leak yet. Too bad I didn't have it with me the other day when one of my carps dragged a vinyl air hose across a fresh weld!

Yes, this is very useful stuff, but too expensive for many applications. They used it to seal connectors on the set of Pirates of the Caribbean. We have some of it at work, but I haven't needed it yet (don't know about some other techs).

May I just ask... what sort of High School performance has a >100k budget. Just wondering.

The one I used to teach at in the Atlanta area had a budget bigger then that...Its rare... but not unheard of.

Still $100K, we don't even come close to having that. I've never heard of a High School theatre budget of over 20K, and very few are that high that I know.

Well, here in NC at my HS, the "budget" (we don't exactly make a budget) is generally less than $1000...and, if we actually even had that on a yearly basis, I would be ecstatic! But more than 100k? That would be a dream!!

NO DUCT TAPE!!!!!!!!! that's like blasphemy. Gaff tape, please.

Like I said. Less than $1000 budget! Gaff tape is about like gold at my HS! It is used for VERY SPECIFIC USES ONLY! That is, when we even have it! Sometimes we don't even have it! Gaff is to professionals as duct tape is to HS technicians! It is our tape of choice for most applications. Most high schools don't have the money to use only gaff tape.

Besides, I said $100k, not $1mill :p

Yes, but compare that to my yearly operating budget given to us by the state of: $8k

This is at a state funded University and is meant to provide production and general supplies like office paper etc etc. The only way we function is to find external sources of funding, and even that is pitiful.

Yes, this is very useful stuff, but too expensive for many applications. They used it to seal connectors on the set of Pirates of the Caribbean. We have some of it at work, but I haven't needed it yet (don't know about some other techs).

Ruin, how do you know this and I don't???? Have you been talking to Tom Dupont?:)

Shoot, I know a couple of people who worked on that one. I can't remember which one told me. I was bummend to miss the bachelor party for Marty last year (friend of a friend). Dude, it's a small world after all!

I recently ran sound on a production that used an interesting technique. They had a fabric noose and used bungee cable to keep the noose just at the actors height. The actor then dropped and landed on a mattress, swaying their body as if they were free floating. This was all done behind plastic with a back-light (and appropriate sound effects) to show the shadow of a person hanging. If the nose needs to be seen (and look like rope) you could have the bungee within the structure attached to the rope so that it lets the rope appear to be solid. However the rope simply slides down with the actor. This allows the actor to remain safe with NO chance of accidental neck snapping. You could even go the extra step and add a rip cord so that if the actors full wight is put on the rope, it breaks quickly. I'd reduce the drop height because actual rope will only "give" so much when a person is being hung. Even with dramatic emphasis, the person need only drop a most a foot.

No this still has a chance of failing. Only use a break away with a hanging illusion anything else should get you tossed in jail.

High school theater with a budget?
That must be nice.
My daughter's HS theater dept is self-funded; ticket & concession sales.
Plus whatever donations from parents.
The couple hundred hours a year I spend there probably doesn't hurt, either.
They do 3 shows every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back