Hanging LCD Projector from batten

Hi everyone,
Disclaimer: I know this is a RIGGING question, and I only plan to do something that is SAFE to do, and all will be safety cabled to the batten.

Is there a way to hang an LCD Projector in some way from a batten?
in "The Lottery", our current endeavour, the director would like to project some things on the cyc.

All I would like to know is how one would go about hanging an LCD projector.
My current idea includes:
a. C-Clamp with yoke.
b. Long bolt through yoke and steel pipe (SAFETY CABLE from hole in pipe to batten)
c. Standard NEC Projector mount on bottom of pipe.
d. NEC Projector (LONG SAFETY CABLE from NEC projector (has a safety hook on it) to batten)

I would run a long VGA cable (our theater owns a 100') from the projector to the SM's desk on SR, and power through a non-dim circuit in our ETC sensor rack.

Would this work?

It's quite easy really.
What is the model of projector?

It's whatever this one is.
proxy.php

Edit: Looks like the VT49 from Google Images, I don't have the projector with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem to me you won't have a steady projection. Even the slightest sway will be noticeable from the batten.

It does not come with a clamp. Technically you could probably use a C-Clamp that you already have but half-couplers or Mega-Claws are generally preferred for this sort of application.

Yeah, It would be a good save on the budget, and we have quite a few laying around because I had ordered a few to replace some rusty ones.

It would seem to me you won't have a steady projection. Even the slightest sway will be noticeable from the batten.

I know it will not be steady; It doesn't need to be because the things we are projecting are things like rocks flying through the air, it doesn't need to be steady for that type of thing.

We also have to be able to move this rig from our Auditorium to the district one act festival's auditorium. Hoping they have flown everything so I don't have to go through the process of convincing the manager there to hang my stuff, and hang it right. :p
At least at my school I can hang my own stuff (for the most part)

Last edited:
In one house that had motorized rigging, we went through and added some weight to each side of the batten so they wouldn't sway as much. It worked quite well for our purposes.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will talk with the director and see what his budget will allow.:rolleyes: If this goes through, I will definitely let you know how it worked out, and take some photos.

Have a great day!
lightsandsoundSHS :grin:

I will not confirm nor deny that I have hung a projector for a show with something resembling mstaylor's picture there.... But, it sounds like you are on the right path. (I see a safety cable too, so it must be good. :lol: ) If you have the NEC mount for the projector, just work out the needed pipe fittings to get it attached to your c-clamp. I think those have a spot on one side or the other you can safety to as well, and they do not weigh a lot. In my real job as a computer tech, I get pulled into hanging projectors and stuff all the time at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back