Hanging Monitors

Tyler Lindsley

Looking to add some additional stage monitors to our inventory. We currently have db Flexsys FM12 units for downstage/backstage monitors. I want to add 2 additional monitors for upstage, but as we are limited on wing space I am looking into flying them. What units are <$400, have fly points, and sound great?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I use SRM450s (v1) as my mains and have flown them in the past ... if you like the sound of these they are relatively easy to hang using M10 bolts.

I have a little bit of experience with EV ZX1's; they sound pretty nice to my ears and have hang points (for the vertical orientation only). The installed version, the ZX1i, has a very nice adjustable arm bracket system that should be pretty straightforward to safely rig to a pipe or truss, but costs more than $400. They don't have much at all in the way of low bass response. I don't think that's a drawback for stage monitors in many cases.

I use SRM450s (v1) as my mains and have flown them in the past ... if you like the sound of these they are relatively easy to hang using M10 bolts.
Other than the weight the original, made-in-Italy SRM450 were pretty darn good. The v2? Uh... be glad you got the v1. We had a mix of both and kept a pair of v1, sold off the v2 and waived them a fond goodbye.

Looking to add some additional stage monitors to our inventory. We currently have db Flexsys FM12 units for downstage/backstage monitors. I want to add 2 additional monitors for upstage, but as we are limited on wing space I am looking into flying them. What units are <$400, have fly points, and sound great?

Thanks!
What sounds great for $400? Almost nothing... There are a number of things that "sound good enough for the money" and the FM12 is a notch above most of those. Complimenting your current wedges would be the dBTech Opera 12 and it fits your price point.

Are you looking for powered speakers or do you have an amplifier available to power a passive box?

Opera 12 looks like $790 a pop. But wait ... what are these for? Dance show coverage? The drummer in rock shows? Musical theater orchestral feed? Are there open mics on your stage?

also, because I made this mistake more than once til I learned better, you must use rigging grade drop forged hardware ... from the M10 bolts on up thru the slings, chains, or trapezes above the speakers ... and over design for dynamic loads (when that speaker gets whacked by a ladder or set piece and starts swinging). Here in seismic land, min of 8x over design factor is used. I am so grateful that nothing fell due to my ignorance in my earlier years of "just doing it".

Opera 12 looks like $790 a pop. But wait ... what are these for? Dance show coverage? The drummer in rock shows? Musical theater orchestral feed? Are there open mics on your stage?

also, because I made this mistake more than once til I learned better, you must use rigging grade drop forged hardware ... from the M10 bolts on up thru the slings, chains, or trapezes above the speakers ... and over design for dynamic loads (when that speaker gets whacked by a ladder or set piece and starts swinging). Here in seismic land, min of 8x over design factor is used. I am so grateful that nothing fell due to my ignorance in my earlier years of "just doing it".
@Ben Stiegler and @Tyler Lindsley "gets whacked by" is one thing; when a 1400 pound LX pipe is being flown in for re-lamping et al and comes to a partial halt due to hanging up on one of your speakers is quite another.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Looking at 'permanently' mounting 2 above the stage for upstage monitors (FM12s are and will remain the DS monitors) and the other 2 would be available for wedges for special events, offstage monitors, or events outside of the theater.

They'd primarily be used for pre-recorded music and light vocals (high school, not going to mix 24 channels of wireless into monitors) though rarely may be used for light orchestra monitoring for musicals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back