hanging PARs on a crossbar

blalew

I looked around & tried to find something to address my question, but alas.

I have a question about hanging PARs with light trees in a portable situation. I have some Ultimate TS-99 stands and I bought the Ultimate crossbar for them but it's not great (plastic, wingnuts, etc). I do have a Global Truss crossbar that's welded & is 2" thin wall pipe (must be GT-LB132). It fits on the stand and is more substantial.

My PAR cans are PAR64 currently with cheap c-clamps (not cast) which means that less savvy setup folks will overtighten and break them while I'm not looking. You know, stuff stays up in the air if you tighten it tighter! People will follow directions I give, but it's definitely a case of keep it simple & remove any possible foul-ups.

We have cases that hold the four lights, and the c-clamps have fiddly hardware (probably 1/4" bolts also). So at the venue, the instruments and an NSI D4DMX dim pack need to be assembled onto the crossbar & then pushed up to height. Although I would consider getting a case that can fit the crossbar 'prerig'

Because the Ultimate stands aren't super tall, I'd like to top-hang them if it's safe. I have some Global Truss ST-132 but we usually use them for PA, and I'd like to send a simple lighting setup without the heavy GT stands.

I have some 1/2 cheese clamps w/ 1/2" stud which fit on the yoke of the lights, and the cheese clamps fit around the nicer crossbar.

However, two problems arise (thanks for your patience through this saga) - as I mentioned, I would like to top hang, and that means bolts from yoke through the holes in the crossbar (right?). AND I need a way to hang the dimmer on the crossbar. The dimmer has 1/2" holes on top of the hanger, and 3/8" holes on the back of the hanger. I had thought about using a half cheeseclamp to 'side-hang' the dimpack but the holes aren't big enough for the 1/2" stud - in other words, clamping the cheeseclamp on the vertical part of the crossbar that goes down to the stand. But is this safe?

So - how can I top hang my PARs safely to get more height, make it easy & foolproof to assemble, and hang the dim pack too?

Thanks for any replies, much appreciated.

Edit: punctuation

Ultmate does or did make a accessory hanger for the dimmer pack. I have a very similar setup with the pack hanging on those hangers. but i cannot find the part # in their current online catalog.
I do use the ultimate plastic washers but i back them up with metal fender washers

Last edited:
Drill out the mount plate of the dimmer to accept the bolt size you need.

I had considered that, just was wondering if 'side loading' the 1/2 cheese clamp by hanging it on the vertical member of the crossbar is OK.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, it may not be 2" pipe like the horizontal member is. I may have to instead put it on the back of the union.

My bigger question - attaching the PARs to the crossbar with a 1/2 cheese clamp is OK even if the PAR is on the top of the bar (not hung under)?

I've seen it done, just want to do it safely

Thanks, -Blanton

Get American DJ O-clamps or a half-cheese instead of something with a bolt that screws into the pipe. Granted, they aren't the best for yoking out or up, but they will prevent the pipe from being damaged.

If you can live with hanging them down, you could get those dimmer bars Elation Professional - Professional Lighting Products instead of a standard piece of pipe. It'll solve not only the problem of dented pipe, but the dimmer is built right in.

Just to be clear what I'm asking - here's my setup.

The 1/2 cheese clamps seem fine on the 2" pipe holding the PARs up, no rotation. I've drilled out mount holes in the dim pack & mounted them with 1/2 cheese clamps also.

Is this legit?

photo.jpg

I agree, the PAR's are lightweight, so I do not see them falling over (slipping) top mounted. The Dimmer pack is cheesed on there nicely so nothing looks like it will fall. I have seem some people rest an elation DPDMX20L (Tree dimmer similar to yours) on the T and not even clamp it....Yours is by far safer.

My only issue with the TS99 stands is their height. They only go to 9'2" where most tripod T's make it to 12' Is that the reason for top mounting your PARS?

The TS99 stands - it's what we have. Yes, the height is the reason for top mounting the PARs. Otherwise you literally get the 'deer in the headlights' look :)

We usually use our 13' crank up stands for PA.

Nice. Didn't know that, going to get a couple. I think I'm going to stick with the better crossbar & cheeseclamps though, gives more flexibility...

The TS99 stands - it's what we have. Yes, the height is the reason for top mounting the PARs. Otherwise you literally get the 'deer in the headlights' look :)

We usually use our 13' crank up stands for PA.

I know that look all too well. A DJ company hired me to setup their intelligents, and I got stuck with setting up their LED PAR trees for front lighting a band. Problem was, the band had a small stage, I had to put the trees out to the side. Started raising the tripods on the sides, almost toppled the stand on the to bands equipment thinking it went higher... Having the band on stage and the tripods off...not good. The controller the DJ used was a pre-programmed playback controller...no dimming (+1).

As for the vertical extension. I am aware of that piece, Personally I feel like i should not have to "Extend" the range of my lighting tripod to a usable height, they should start at that height and offer an extension based on that (If sturdy/safe enough to support it). Spending twice as much as a cheap T, and not being able to get a reasonable height without spending an extra $30 irks me. Just my 2 Cents.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back