Hanging Sidelight

Derailing this thread a little bit, what does it take to weld Sch 80? Not that I plan on doing it, especially in any sort of overhead or structural application; it's the curious nerd in me wondering. I'm gonna guess it takes a stick welder and a fair bit of current.

When I have done it, I have used a Millermatic 250, ground the joints to a 45, and done a fillet weld, 2-3 passes. You don't need to move to a stick unless you are going to be going through at least a 1/4" stock. However, you need to have the 220v welders, the 110's simply don't have the power to penetrate through the thicker stock.

If the welder can not blow through the material, you should not be welding with that welder on that material. This is why I do not like to see anyone weld pipe, because few theatres have the welders that are meant to go through that much steel. .049 MT1010 box tube can be welded with just about anythnig, .2" pipe is another story.

proxy.php

Last edited:
This is not quite what you originally asked - but it might be useful to consider shin busters instead of full pipes.

In other words - instead of a heavy boom with 8 feet of pipe, and there or four fixtures attached to the pipe ( which you say would work except for the scene changes) consider a simple base ( probably out of plywood) with a single PAR or Leko bolted to it. For the scene shifts, you pick them up and move them out of the way.

True - it is quite low and that has to be the effect you want. And it is only a single color ( unless you re-gel between scenes) - but it is easy to build and move. Whats more there is nothing to fall on someone.

If you do go this route, however, be sure to make sure that your soft goods don't get entangled in the light. They will get hot enough to singe your drapes if you aren't careful.

This is not quite what you originally asked - but it might be useful to consider shin busters instead of full pipes.

Yup, I had considered this. As of right now, I'm planning to have two rovers on each side, both being shins, attached to homemade plywood bases from the thread this summer. However, for a specific look I want to create, I would need to have two instruments at about 8 feet off the deck on each side in the first entrance. As a designer, I would prefer to be able to hang ladders in every entrance and load them up with sidelight, but that's generally not worth the extra effort it would take. For this show, however, I want to do something very specific with the scenes set in a specific location. I have the overhead electrics loaded with high sides for general side light, but these instruments in the first opening would provide key light for a specific look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back