Hanukkah

wel, you bring up an interesting point with the virgin and woman point...I will try and ask my pastor about that, i had never heard about tht before. thank you!

Hanukkah is the celebration of the time when God provided enough oil to light the lamps for 8 days, from one days supply of oil. If you do not believe the story happened, how can you celebrate Hanukkah? It is the celebration of a miracle done by the Most High and Only God. If you do not believe that the Bible is telling things that are true, that really happened, then how can you say you believe in the God of the Bible? I would not want to believe in a God who did not do miracles. I believe in a strong, powerful God, not some wimp who's never done a thing. My God parted an ocean once, think about it, He could have defeated the Egyptian armies in many ways, but I think he was kinda showing off, parting an ocean to let people pass through! My God is powerful, He's got muscle. He made the laws of Physics, it's no problem for him to change them and bend them and redo them if He wants. And this isn't just my God, it's the God you profess to believe in as well!

oh, please don't let me tell you that the Jewish religion is the wrong religion. what I am going to telly ou this this, plain and simple: Unless you believe in Jesus as Messiah, you will not live the life that God planned for you to live, a few thousand years ago when he made the earth and the solar system. You will live and die unsatisfied, and after death you will be eternally seperated from God. It's not that Jewish culture is wrong, it's that unless you believe in Jesus as Messiah, you aren't going to heaven when you die. I don't want you to hear me saying that being a Jew is wrong, beccause God chose you. But, have you chosen God?

I agree this is a touchy subject--it deals with a huge problem: who has the one real truth? do you? do I? I believe I do. I believe I can prove it. I believe Jesus is Messiah, He lived as a man and died on a cross for my sins, that He has forgiven me, and now I stand before God, not clean myself, but with my dirtiness covered by the blood spilled by Jesus. I believe Jesus was not lying when he said "I am the way, ,the truth and the life. no one comes to the Father but by me."

PS: i understand what you mean about not speaking or reading fluent Hebrew, i certainly can't read any of it! :)

Tech is a very important thing in this life. But what about the "next life?" what about after this one??

oh, hi Ship! yeah, short post! :)

I can't quite understand what you say...but it hink I get the gist of it. I'm here to tell you that I've been raised baptist, but now attend a church that is more pentecostal, ,and my job is not to convert. My job is to show Christs' love. Jesus loved, but he NEVER loved at the expense of truth. My job is to seek out truth and wisdom. As it is, I have never found another "religion" that contains more truth that Christianity. Christianity and Judaism are closely linked, the one huge theological point where they begin to differ is with "is Jesus Messiah?" Not at all jews believe he was. Believing in Jesus as Messiah does not make you a non-jew.

what "golden rule that unifies all religions" ?? do ou mean that all religions takl about doing unto othes what you want them to do to you" ? i think that is what you say. i want to quickly make the point that not all religions are equal. If all religions are true, then Christianity is true. If Christianity is true, then Jesus is the only way to heaven. If Jesus is the only way to heaven, then all other religions are false. If all religions are true, then all religions other than Christianity are false. Um.....that doesn't work. Also, I now that altleas the muslim religion blieves the same thing, but for allah. allah and Jesus are not the same, islam and Christianity are not founded on the same things at all. But nwo you ahve two religions for which the "if all religions are true, then all but this one are false" statement. It just doesn't work.

anyways, i need some sleep. Ccfan, have fun on your retreat! they can be tons of fun!!!!!

i do celebrate the jewish holidays and i do bleive in g-d. religion is about culture and tradition as well as belief so i follow the traditions of my ancestors. i am not saying i think g-d is a wimp, no one can create a universe and still be called a wimp, as i said before i think of the bible as a metaphor for how we should live our lives, interpreting religious docrtine literally seems to me to be a little extreme. i follow the teachings of the tanakh (the complet jewish bible, the torah is only 1 of the three sections) and understand its lessons, the lessons i think g-d wants us to get from it, g-d created a miracle in creating the world and humanity, he/she/whatever type of being g-d may be does not need to show off by parting oceans on a planet g-d created.
by saying that jews wont go to heaven you are saying that being jewish is wrong because being jewish means not accepting jesus as the messiah, the fundamental difference between judaism and christianity is accepting jesus, so to say that jews who accept jesus go to heaven is the same as saying jews dont go to heaven. i also believe in darwinism not creationism. i feel that the story of creation also teaches a lesson, the lesson that g-d created the world and in turn everything on it, but i feel more that g-d set events into motion like primordal soup, i think it was such an unlikely mix of amino acids that g-d created life in that way, like the mix of gasses that formed the big bang, but i dont literally think that g-d created man from sand and woman from adam's rib.

my views are not representative of all jews, they are very liberal as i am a refom jew and are more liberal than the official refom movement's views, conservatives and orthodox jews are likely to agree with the idea of creationism and take the bible stories literally. one of the things that i have found about judaism is that it is more open ended than alot of other religions, for example there is no official "jewish" idea on the afterlife. for the most part jews dont believe in an actuall hell, some believe in heaven and there used to be a movement the believed in reincartation. another thing i would like to bring up is the whole jewish anticrist thing, jews did not kill jesus, romans did, he was a jew. and i dont dispute the existance of rabbi jesus christ, but i dont think he was the messiah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back