Hard Cyc: Design and Construction

click

Project is an existing high school auditorium. Their back wall is cinder block. The stage is very shallow (adding rigging for a fabric cyc would kill precious inches), so I am suggesting they convert that wall into a permanent hard cyc, which can be painted (and re-painted) as they want—either a solid flat white for a cyc, or a scenic image to make a backdrop.

I am thinking the most economical solution might be to propose an installation of vertical furring strips plus a layer of drywall, taped and skim-coated. Perhaps with a muslin cover sized (a.k.a. stretched and glued) to the drywall to dull and homogenize the surface. The initial installation is likely to be done by a construction contractor, so I'm hoping to find the best design that can be explained simply to achieve a seamless result from a non-theatrical installer.

I welcome any opinions, better ideas and anecdotes on this topic. Many thanks.

Project is an existing high school auditorium. Their back wall is cinder block. The stage is very shallow (adding rigging for a fabric cyc would kill precious inches), so I am suggesting they convert that wall into a permanent hard cyc, which can be painted (and re-painted) as they want—either a solid flat white for a cyc, or a scenic image to make a backdrop.

I am thinking the most economical solution might be to propose an installation of vertical furring strips plus a layer of drywall, taped and skim-coated. Perhaps with a muslin cover sized (a.k.a. stretched and glued) to the drywall to dull and homogenize the surface. The initial installation is likely to be done by a construction contractor, so I'm hoping to find the best design that can be explained simply to achieve a seamless result from a non-theatrical installer.

I welcome any opinions, better ideas and anecdotes on this topic. Many thanks.
@click WHITE will be hard to keep clean, somewhat glaring, and will show every flaw. I'm sure a bazillion experts will be along shortly, if they haven't already whilst I'm typing. You might consider a matte powder blue finish unless you're planning to paint scenery on it for your very first use.
Toodleoo!
Ron ( Most emphatically NOT a scenic artist ) Hebbard

If you're talking about having a contractor, have it done right: https://www.procyc.com/ I'm sure there are others out there as well.

I have tried this with drywall on several occasions. I won't try again. Drywall at that scale will never be flat and smooth enough enough to look good. Wet plaster on metal lath will work, but very expensive.

Figure out how to hang a drop an inch or two from the wall. Something like Rosco Screen would be ideal, tough, and cleanable but muslin will work.

Shouldn't be impossible to dead hang a pipe against the wall and hang your cyc from it. 3" max depth. and you can strike it when the designer calls for a cinder block wall ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back