Hard hats in MEWPs

Who set this requirement ?. My research indicated there's no requirement for a harness when in a mast only lift, only used when in a boom lift.

As well, we only require a hard hat when there's work going on overhead and a potential for a dropped part or tool. When I'm focusing as example I do not wear a HH as I need to be able to see overhead.
Being able to see up without exposing one's face is the reason behind the shape of most "climbing" style helmets. Smaller brims allow this to happen. As always, standards can vary by location and it's always a good idea to consult with your AHJ regarding the how and why of safety requirements.

The irony is I only tend to hit my head on things when my peripheral vision is blocked by the hat brim. In other words, when I have a hard hat on, I really need a hard hat.

Had a guy from the utility come out to look at the gas meter in my house. My 100 year old house has a basement ceiling just north of 6'. I'm 6' and can walk around down there with just my hair grazing the joists. This guy was 6' and kept hitting his head on all my joists because he had a hard hat on the whole time. I told him he could take it off and save himself the trouble. He said no, company rule, safety first.

Who set this requirement ?. My research indicated there's no requirement for a harness when in a mast only lift, only used when in a boom lift.

As well, we only require a hard hat when there's work going on overhead and a potential for a dropped part or tool. When I'm focusing as example I do not wear a HH as I need to be able to see overhead.
Welcome to the world of red tape. On a gig early on coming out of the pandemic with several different IATSE locals on-site. "The client needs these two scissor lifts moved over there because they want to set up an interview tent here." I was only able to move one, the other I said I need to locate a harness to move it. They replied why do you need a harness, you aren't going up? It's just a small scissor lift! Also why can you only move one without a harness?

Well you see my employer requires it (whose site we were on) when driving any kind of lift, no matter what. However scissor lift 1 over here has moveable controls so I can walk next to it driving it to the new location, however they are fixed on lift 2 so I can't do that, thus I need a harness. I've even had to pay a lot of money getting a rated attachment point added to a standard single man push type bucket lift. In an AWP, you must be harnessed.

With that being said, we had someone that was extremely by the book with the rules. He left us and started working with our lift provider. He lost his life loading one of the lifts onto a truck not wearing a harness. We were all shocked he wasn't wearing it.

Had a guy from the utility come out to look at the gas meter in my house. My 100 year old house has a basement ceiling just north of 6'. I'm 6' and can walk around down there with just my hair grazing the joists. This guy was 6' and kept hitting his head on all my joists because he had a hard hat on the whole time. I told him he could take it off and save himself the trouble. He said no, company rule, safety first.
This is me walking around below decks of the mighty sailing ship Columbia because I could never be bothered to take my lid off, and tapping every frame.

Welcome to the world of red tape. On a gig early on coming out of the pandemic with several different IATSE locals on-site. "The client needs these two scissor lifts moved over there because they want to set up an interview tent here." I was only able to move one, the other I said I need to locate a harness to move it. They replied why do you need a harness, you aren't going up? It's just a small scissor lift! Also why can you only move one without a harness?

Well you see my employer requires it (whose site we were on) when driving any kind of lift, no matter what. However scissor lift 1 over here has moveable controls so I can walk next to it driving it to the new location, however they are fixed on lift 2 so I can't do that, thus I need a harness. I've even had to pay a lot of money getting a rated attachment point added to a standard single man push type bucket lift. In an AWP, you must be harnessed.

With that being said, we had someone that was extremely by the book with the rules. He left us and started working with our lift provider. He lost his life loading one of the lifts onto a truck not wearing a harness. We were all shocked he wasn't wearing it.
With regards to the lift provider, would this happen to have been in Florida? We got word of a fatality that fits this description not so long ago.

We are required to be harnessed into a MEWP and to wear an Environmental Health & Safety Dept-approved hard hat w/ a chin strap as well.

In our training earlier this year, the trainer repeatedly stressed that all MEWPs require fall protection, but that guard rails meeting certain standards (height, stability) can qualify.
In our scissor and mast lifts the railings satisfy the standard, and we are not required to wear fall arrest. The boom lifts we are required to wear harnesses.

For hard hats, the rule is to wear them in the lift if there is a danger of hitting your head. This leads to mixed-precautions. Driving the scissor lift in the arena? Hard hat, but no harness. Boom lift outdoor for the football game? Harness, but no hard hat.

And some states have stricter standards, too.
Employers are free to enact more stringent workplace safety requirements as they see fit.
Ding ding ding! My university / EHS dept derived this requirement, partially because I work primarily w/ students the majority of the time. OSHA does not require harnesses in MEWPs but we do. And, again as a more-than-we-might-be-required-to-do requirement, if you're wearing a harness - you're wearing a hard hat. No exceptions. Thus, the nice comfortable ones so fewer complain / attempt to evade the req.

TBH, so far as I know, this isn't required by all Facilities folk, but it certainly is inside my PAC.

Good luck,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back