• Hiking style

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • other (please comment)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Im not required to wear one

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Hi Marco-

I think we've found part of "Fun" in having folks from around the production world here in the Booth - the wide variety of requirements, standards, and "practices" that probably make sense locally but those from afar go "uh.. say WHAT?"

Time for a shameless plug for an author who presents at a safety conference I work... Dr. Tony Kern. He's a pilot, administrator, trainer and author that addresses human factors, professionalism and ethics in the workplace (mostly aviation, but much of what he presents transfers to other occupations). He's got several books but the 2 I recommend are "Blue Threat: Why to Err is Inhuman" and "Going Pro: The Deliberate Practice of Professionalism".

We shouldn't be doing things only because they are required, nor stopping at some point because nothing further is *required* of our professionalism. "Good enough" should not be part of our professional vocabulary.
I'm going to steal that last line, Tim. And buy those books. Thanks!

I'm going to steal that last line, Tim. And buy those books. Thanks!
I think the first seminar I worked with Kern was after Blue Threat came out. Rigging is one of the most risk-analogous crafts to aviation to be found in our industry - either people die, or do not, and it made me pay a whole lot more attention to the level of professionalism with which each rigger approaches the craft.

Our little industry plays with lots of potentially dangerous stuff - electricity, chemicals, fire, liquefied gasses, but gravity is the most unforgiving.

We shouldn't be doing things only because they are required, nor stopping at some point because nothing further is *required* of our professionalism. "Good enough" should not be part of our professional vocabulary.

Like Mike Holmes, Canadian super builder says, “it’s a MINIMUM code”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back