Hard Patching Fluorescent/Edison Bulbs

Aug

Hey Guys,

I am a Production Associate based in NY and I'm kinda new here. I just needed some help/advice on a show I am working on currently...

I was asked to do the Lighting Design for a student production of A Midsummer's Night Dream. The setting is in an 80's themed nightclub. The director specifically asked for two things:
1- a black light to be hung to highlight some elements of the set and
2- fluorescents OR edison bulbs to be hung and functional (personally I'm leaning towards the edison bulbs).

These are to be controlled from the board, the actors will not be using these as practicals. We have an ETC Element and approximately 24 functioning dimmers, give or take. This is a very small blackbox theater and I am not sure how to pull this off exactly. What are the best types of fixtures to rent? Any ideas and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!! :)

Need a bit more to go on as far as set design to recommend a fixture body.

This is basic lighting patching if the actors aren't using them. Get the fixture hang it and patch it to the dimmer and dimmer addy to console.

I wouldn't use FL lamps as they don't play nice with dimmers.

TLDR:

Ask director what he wants the light to look like buy it and patch it.

I am relocating this to the Lighting Forum so it is posted in the proper place. You should get more responses there. But, as alreday indicated, we need some more info to go from in order to help you.

~Dave

Definitely avoid the fluorescents unless you really need the blacklight. Incandescent blacklights are pretty useless.

If renting either FL or blacklights ( probably also FL but some LEDs are great, some not so,) then ask for either DMX controlled units or to include a DMX relay pack. And don't forget the DMX cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back