Harnesses/ safety lines

now looking back i realize i probably should have explained this in my original post, our catwalks do not go over the stage, they go over the house. they are wooden platforms that are on top of the rafters in the ceiling and the purpose of them is to work on the coves or house lights, over the stage we use a genie or fly down the pipes.

location is irrelevant

The location is irrelevant. Essentially, if any work surface is 6' above another level ( the floor, balcony, etc...) it must be constructed to very specific standards, or have fall protection installed (also to very specific standards.)

well its not 6' above the floor below it which is the auditorium ceiling, its resting on it, but that ceiling cannot safely hold the weight of a normal human being on areas between these metal support posts.

Well considering that you are all techs and such, what about bulding a railing for it and having it inspected. The safty harness idea works but its a pain in the ass. Some parent of a tech complained about our safety in the catwalk a few years ago and made the school spend all this money to buy harnesses for us but no one actually wears them ever, and theres an eye beam that runs right nexto the enterance of the catwalk and some people just climb right up that to get in there, and its about 25 - 30 ft up.

~Nick

your catwalks seem alot like ours. Above the house, covered by ceiling drywall, the wood planks about two feet or so above the drywall, jsut enough for hanging lights on the bars below. There shouldn't be a railing along the front of the catwalk so you can SAFELY hang lights without worrying about hitting your head, but all other sides should have railings. The ceiling drywall should be able to hold up to 150 lbs due to the density and thickness required by code (at least BC code anyway). I can crawl along the drywall if I really have to at ours. There should be no need for a fall protection system, but a horizontal line and tethers will work fine. Just make sure the tethers are long enough that you can work with the lights hanging there.

The OSHA Occupational Safety and Health Standards (29CFR1910) call for guarded platforms at 4 feet and higher. The OSHA Safety and Health Regulations for Construction (29CFR1926) call for guarding platforms at 6 feet and higher.

Interesting that ceiling drywall code. But is that what the code really says? - usually floor loadings and roof loadings are given in a weight per unit area. Relying on drywall to support one's weight just doesn't seem like a good idea. One also hopes that the fasteners/support for the drywall has the same requirements. The code could be for the board itself, but not the board/fastener system.

Joe

Remember that it's possible the plaster ceilings they are talking about are steel mesh reinforced and a concrete/plaster mixture not just drywall.

Always keep to stepping on the steel supports to a ceiliing structure, but in general, a industrial ceiling they are probably talking about has a much larger live load rating upon it.

If other than this method of construction with the mix and mesh, normal drywall would be very unsafe to walk upon.

Idea here is still that you tend to want some form of OSHA approved horizontal fall protection in place when on a cat walk that could potentially allow for a person in it to fall by accident. Say if there is a catwalk but you have to lean far over to adjust a lighting fixture in such a way where your center of gravity is off balance. Much less even if within a ceiling if the catwalk itself does not have support rails to protect against loosing one's balance and falling off it.

Think a person walking along a truss top or platform without rails to catch one self on. Given a lack of this, than some form of being clipped into a horizontally run line that is sufficiently sized and rated to catch you would be necessary. This also given a harness that won't break your back in the fall, and safety lines that in failing by way of stitching reduce the ascent speed.

However just having the gear does not solve the at best 15 minute problem of emergency responders getting there in time for someone after a fall that given this fall now has the blood circulation cut off by way of harness. Such rescue requires rapid taking the person that fell out of the harness safely. This rescue trained is part of the fall protection program. All well and good to protect from fall, not much good if the blood does not get to the limbs after the fall while waiting for someone to rescue them. Much less if those untrained in rescue also fall in the attempt.

Otherwise on platforms, there is some debate as to say a Geni tower used at 6' high or even 16'. Given normal fall arrest equipment takes 10' to do it's job, you will hit the floor first. Short of using this you are not using the fall protection equipment as intended. Some debate about the distance traveled as to the shock value on a system verses that 10' factor but in distances over this, there is no debate about usefulness.

Note also that schools don't have to comply with OSHA. It's a good idea but short of doing it how the big boys do say a vertical fall arrest situation, it's hard to install safety programs to those not trained in it. Thinking oneself safe while not can also be more dangerous than being unsafe and knowing better.

Just some thoughts at random. Plaster ceilings have many forms above drywall. For OSHA type situations, it's no doubt talking about at least 1" thick drywall or concrete/steel reinforced ceilings. Not that they should be trusted in general to walk on, still for general use and in good condition, if you put your foot into the wrong place or loose your balance, such ceilings are designed to prevent the foot and body falling thru it in most cases where there is a user servicable access to the ceiling.

I've been casting the OSHA net too widely, perhaps, although it’s a more conservative approach. While the rules are not applicable to all situations, the actual practices are a good starting point.

Federal employees and employees of States and "subdivisions of states" are specifically excluded from OSHA. (The law, OSH Act of 1970 Section 3 (5), actually excludes these entities as "employers".) But many states include public employees under OSHA through state programs. While a school district may not be a "subdivision of a state", if the district receives funding from the state, then (based on the interpretations that I read), the school employees would be considered "State employees" and not be covered. (I have no idea if there is a minimum amount of funding the triggers the "subdivision of the State" criteria, or if it is the State law that implements the public schools that triggers the " subdivision of the State" criteria. I suspect that it is the latter.)

Note that students are not protected by OSHA (except when they are employees of an entity that must comply with OSHA, and OSHA interpretations are very clear about this).

However, private schools and schools in states where public employees are covered by a state program would be covered under OSHA. In this case, the teaching and custodial staff do fall under OSHA. Changing a light in the auditorium could be a custodial function and therefore, access to the light by the employee must be safe, per OSHA. The students would not be protected directly by OSHA, but many workplace situations should meet the OSHA standards.

Regardless, I would expect most school districts to have some sort of "safe work practices" program in place, if for no reason than to address potential liability issues. It would be paradoxical that a student could be allowed to work in an unsafe situation, but an employee would be prevented from doing the same task.

Joe

If you go for the overhead safety line I believe it must be anchor to the structure every 4 metres if only one person is using the system. You must have 3 'cow bells' (short ropes with carabiners on the end) attached to your harness and must maintain at least 2 points of contact with the system at all times. Thats my understanding of the british standards anyway.

quick fix...I-Bolt to something sturdy then tie your lines off on the I-Bolt...its probably still a big liability but that would make me feel safer in those conditions...

Very few of these posts in this thread are on track!

In a theater where construction takes place (i.e. sets) I would say that falls under Construction Industry regulations for OSHA. Here is what you should know:

Always have some form of fall protection anywhere a person could fall 6 or more feet. This could be simply in the form of guardrails engineered to withstand a 200lb force and toeboard, a safety net (yeah right) or personal fall protection.

Personal fall protection must be engineered as a whole system, with no component rated for less than 5,000 lbs. This means use only pre-approved stuff, or stuff you get approved.

Anchorages and lifelines must be rated for 5,000 lbs per person attached. Vertical rope grabs must be inspected annualy.

Harnesses must be full body, OSHA approved for fall protection. Rock climbing harness are not allowed, and for a good reason. With a rock harness you are attached on the front at your waist. If you fall, that will be your pivot point. If you have any spin you could end up upside down, which poses at least 2 problems. First off, you could slip out of the harness, and second, your head is in a prime position to be hit. Plus all the damage it can do to your spine. On a fall harness, the attachment point is on your back closer to your shoulders, so you hang upright. If nothing else, this is at least more comfortable.

Lanyards may be no longer than 6ft, and generally incorporate a shock absorber. If there isn't a shock absorber on the lanyard, it must be appropriately incorporated elsewhere to effectively do it's job. Retractable lifelines generally do not incorporate a shock absorber, therefore you must include one yourself.

Though you are not required to wear fall protection on a portable ladder as it is often not possible, if you can drop a line from the grid or an i-beam, it is recommended. Why? Because it hurts alot less if you fall with protection than without. Especially on really tall ladders.

All rigging components must be rated.

Fixed ladders (permanently attached) over 25ft must have some form of fall protection.

Vehicle mounted personnel liftswear a harness and a lanyard attached to the lift, ALWAYS USE OUTRIGGERS!!!

Have a rescue plan. For ladders, this can be as simple as 'if you fall grab the ladder and get to safety' or out in the open 'call local fire dept to get a ladder or lift'. Have a plan.

You do NOT need special certification to use fall protection, you must simply be trained in proper use. This can be as simple as having a co-worker properly explain, or even reading the manuals, as long as you fully grasp it.

They make combination fall/sit harnesses. These are used for work positioning. The lanyard MUST be attached to the back point. The front/side ones can be used for getting into position/staying there. This includes belaying, rappelling, and straight out climbing. However, you must always be attached to a lifeline, or in other words, the fall protection (not work positioning) must be continuous. Any rigging/anchorage for work positioning must be able to hold 3,000 lbs minimum.

Again, fall protection must be continuous, so you must be at EVERY SINGLE SECOND attached to fall protection where protection is required. This includes when transitioning between lifelines. Use a lifeline with 2 hooks on 1 end.

Your employer is the one responsible for implementing and training, but you are responsible for following their rules.

I suggest looking at what equipment is available to see what components are commonly used.

I do not sell this stuff, I just know the rules. I am not liable for your misuse of this information.

If you want to know more feel free to contact me. I am a wealth of information.

A few comments on Ryan's last post (and at the risk of digressing):

1. For scissors lifts (for example Genie) that have a platform guarded with rails and toe boards that meet OSHA requirements, no other fall protection requirements are mandatory.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=22611

Refer to the "Fall Arrest" information from OSHA. The OSHA website has numerous publications that distill the regulations. Read those, if you don't have time to work through the regulations.

2. Other protection for a fixed ladder includes a distinctly different acceptable option – specifically a "cage" that surrounds the climber. Note that the regulation does not refer to this as "fall protection", nor is the word "fall" used in the "Fixed Ladder" Section (29 CFR 1910.27).
Also note that cages are for fixed ladders of more than 20 feet to a maximum unbroken length of 30 feet.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...v8&view=text&node=29:5.1.1.1.8.4.33.7&idno=29

The definitions section of Walking-Working Surfaces (29 CFR 1910.10) includes a "ladder safety device" (as opposed to "Fall Protection"). "A ladder safety device is any device, other than a cage or well, designed to eliminate or reduce the possibility of accidental falls and which may incorporate such features as life belts, friction brakes, and sliding attachments."

I found one example here:

http://www.allind.com/dbi_sala_ladder.htm

(Note that searching the internet for "ladder safety device" will yield many hits for United Kingdom manufacturers. As far as I can tell, the UK definition of "ladder safety device" is not that same as OSHA. The UK definition appears to apply to preventing the ladder from slipping or sliding where the ladder rests on the ground [and maybe the wall]. The US OSHA definition refers to stopping falls from a ladder.)

3. Many technical theater activities fall under the OSHA Safety and Heath Regulations for Construction (29 CFR 1926), particularly in the pre-production/rehearsal (and some strike phases) phases. But many activities during load-in, day-to-day operations of a theatre, run of the show, strike, and load-out would be covered under the OSHA Occupational Safety and Health Standards (29 CFR 1910).

Joe

digitaltec said:
Most harnesses cost about $800. If you are going to put a line in, you need to have OSHA inspect it after it is installed. Plus you have to have have OSHA certified harneses. Now of course, when I use harness, it's usually doing rigging or being a truss monkey, but I'm also at hights of 4 stories, etc. So, yeah if your catwalk is that unsafe then maybe it would be a good idea in looking into a fall arrest system though they are very costly.

Where are you buying your harnesses?

I use a Petzl full body rescue harness, didnt cost me more than 70 or 80 bucks. It's a trusted named in the industry as far as rigging goes.

I agree, I've never even seen a harness that costed $800. They usually range from $75-$300 depending on the features and comfort.

One more volley on scissor lift protection- I believe that if the lift is motorized (i.e. you can drive it around or articulate the basket besides up and down), you need to clip into the lift. These types of lifts should all be safe to use as an anchor, but always double check before you take anyone's word on it. I believe thout the reasoning is that you can potentially lose your balance while in accelerated motion (i.e. starting or stopping a movement) and topple over the rail.

I am very fond of the clever designs of Petzl, they are my gear of choice.

I know on the first page John mentioned waiting 23 hours for rescue. While I realize he's overexagerating by quite a bit, everyone needs to realize that you begin to loose circulation in your legs after about 5 minutes of hanging in a harness. You should have a rescue plan set out for un-injured people to get down from the fall arrest point.

As an Emergency Medical Technician, Firefighter, and Rope Rescue technician, I feel confident in saying that half the comments made on this topic are made with serious lack of training and knowledge. I have heard several suggestions on using climbing harnesses for life safety. One word… NO. You need an industrial non sport harness. I suggest strongly that you seek guidance by a company trained to do such rigging and seek instruction from an expert on implementing it.

I have spent many hours pulling people just like yourselves from trusses and I beams and all the like.

Many suggestions on this topic are not only stupid but dangerous! DO NOT try to simply go out and buy a harness and some rope and go kill yourself.

PLEASE HEED THIS WARNING FROM AN EXPERIENCED ROPE RESCUE TECHNICIAN:

Don’t do what you don’t know how to do.

Guessing on safety standards can get you killed.

I use a Petzl full body rescue harness, didnt cost me more than 70 or 80 bucks. It's a trusted named in the industry as far as rigging goes.

Petzl does not make a rescue quality harness for 70 or 80 dollars. Please don't be mislead when something says rescue. If you don't know anything about rigging, life safety, or rope rescue DON'T DO IT.

I know that when lead climbing on rock you do your best never to fall. as far as i'm concerned, the harness is just there so you buddy doesn't have to collect you in multiple peices. As to you situation, consult an expert.. they can advise you best. now, i'm just giving my opiniuon and you know the saying "opinions are like a-- holes, everyone has one"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back