Has anyone played with Max?

Jay Ashworth

One of my TV sound guys was in a BBC-contractor truck, and they had a Dante monitoring screen set up using this, similarly to what Nemesis does with InSight. Seems neat, but it doesn't say what it costs after the 30-day trial...

It seems like the same kind of mashup toolkit for audio and control plane that the thing my dance companies sometimes come in with is for video... Miranda? Some girl's name...

I messed around with it back in the late 90's but not recently. I remember it being both very complicated and very powerful. Isadora is Max for video.

Isadora. Right; that was it. I forget which company brought that in with them. Looked neat, but super complex.

Node-based design. In MacOS, Audio Hijack and Audio Loopback are node-based.

Seems neat, but it doesn't say what it costs after the 30-day trial...

$10/month, $100/year, or $399 forever

Max is essentially a visual programming language, I've owned a copy for years but never really got into it because the best way to learn it is to have a project to work up to and those projects never really appeared in my use-cases, however I know a handful of folks who routinely incorporate it into their processes.

I've never really been tempted by a WaveTool or an Insight license. I already own a full QLab License so I just use QCarts that trigger some scripts that toggle which cart is active. It allows me to do Dante monitoring via mic cues by building an aggregate device in MacOS - great for pairing to Airpods when you're trying to multitask. You're capped at 24 inputs I believe, but it gets the job done though it does have latency some may find unacceptable.

For sure - In Audio/MIDI Setup I built an aggregate device that uses DVS for Input and System Output for Output so I can pair them to my Airpods or plug in headphones to my computer.

In QLab I have a Cart page that has a cart per Dante source I want to monitor as well as a Stop cart. The Carts each trigger their own group in a separate cue list that contains a fade cue that has a zero second fade up on my selected input and OSC cues that target the QLab workspace that turns the selected cart Green and every other cart another color. The Stop cart is just a fade cue that fades out all mic inputs and turns all cues whatever my "off" color is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back