Design Haunted High

MNicolai

ETCP Certified Technicians
Fight Leukemia
I've had another project dropped into my lap, and I think everyone is going to like it. In the school district I grew up in, and have graduated from, resides the old middle school. It has two gyms, four floors, and an auditorium. The building has been otherwise abandoned, since two new schools were built to replace it, as well as our arts center was built.

The school district received offers on the property, but they were too low to accept, so for the time being an entire school and property is going unused. (the building is in such condition/age that nobody is concerned with the shape of it anymore provided it is still standing) That is, until OPEF moved in. They're a foundation that raises money to provide grants for local educational facilities. OPEF is turning the school into a haunted house, with authority of the school district to do whatever they want with the first floor, gymnasiums, and auditorium. This includes painting walls, floors, adding walls, rewiring the PA system, and pretty much anything else that passes final inspection with the fire marshal.

I have been given the task of doing something special to the auditorium and stage. It's a 600-seat room, and the stage isn't anything great, but the curtains are still up, however last year I ripped the dimming system out for use elsewhere in the district.

It's a very mechanically-oriented group of people I'm working with, so they have lots of pneumatic tricks. For example, there's a ghoul already installed over the audience, off the ledge of the balcony, that has pneumatic operations for flapping its wings.

Luckily, there's access to all houselighting from above the ceiling, and there are four access panels in the middle of the house from which items could be suspended from.

The most developed concept we have for the room right now is similar to what they did in "The Game," with Michael Douglas, where there were black lights and UV graffiti everywhere. What I'm thinking about doing is the cheap way out, by replacing at least half of the incandescent houselights (presently 91w PAR medium-base lamps) with the novelty UV light bulbs.

Then we'd go crazy on the walls. I'm thinking about Wildfire Invisible Clear Glaze top coats, that are invisible until the black lights turn on. So what would happen is, the group of "victims" enter the auditorium with some regular lighting on, and then after a few steps, it cuts to total black (except for exit-lighting), and then the black lights come on. This reveals graffiti all over the walls and floors, as well as make-up on the zombies in the room, some mannikins, other actual actors. Then as the group moves through the space, the actors mob up on them.

Eventually, the group makes it on stage, where the main curtain is closed, and when they go through the curtain, they are in an area lit blood red, with "live" deadly entertainment, such as zombies masquerading as a band. From above the stage area, we may throw things near groups walking through. Nothing harmful, but maybe small fake spiders, bats, handfuls of mylar confetti, etc. We've considered hanging a couple corpses from the winched line sets and having them on quick-release setups so that at the pull a rope, one, or both of them may fall 12' to the stage floor.

Before anyone comments on it, safety is the primary concern. No corpses would fall anywhere near people. There are entire areas of the stage and house that are completely cordoned off and restricted that can be used for those kinds of shenanigans. For example, the ghoul above the audience, if it fell, would not fall on anybody working or participating in the haunted house. However, it is a haunted house, and there will be moments when rooms will be pitch black, and that is a function of the event that has already been discussed with the fire marshal. Should there be any issues when the setup is done, he will have to sign off on it anyways before the house can be opened. There will be people working the event that will have two-way radios, and we are hiring deputies who will be armed for the event, and be spaced throughout the building to keep everyone and everything secure. Also, the building still has an active fire alarm and security system, and remains equipped with fire extinguishers, though we may bring some down from unused rooms of the higher floors of the building to better accommodate the areas we'll have people moving around in. We're being proactive on contacting the fire and police departments for their consultants as well.

Here are some photos of the space.

proxy.php

proxy.php

They aren't the best photos, so I'll try to get some better ones on Monday when we meet with the electrician.

I'm hoping if we replace half of the houselights with black lights, that'll really help the room, but novelty light bulbs are certainly not the best option. We do have a number of T12 UV tubes though, so we can provide at least some lighting from both above and below the faces of each wall of the room.

I've got a meeting on Wednesday with a sales rep for a production company out of Chicago, who just happens to have an office nearby. I'm going to walk him through the building and see what he might be able to add to really spice the 65,000 sq. ft. of haunting. However, the nights it'll be open are Oct. 9-31, on Fridays and Saturday evenings, so we need an almost month-long rental on any equipment. Because of that, we're looking more at purchasing equipment and materials. Also, they're dedicated to making this an annual event, even if the building is sold in the future, in which case they would do it elsewhere. So even large purchases are completely acceptable, especially because a lot of the special effects equipment could be used by the school district in the arts center in the "off-season."

As for the budget, it's discretionary. We have an excellent marketing team that has sold some of the best products in the country. A best-case scenario is that we are able to move 10,000 victims through the building at $12 a head. That's obviously very optimistic, but we can support that many if the crowds come. With that in mind, I've been given a budget that depends on how much I want to spend on materials, versus how cool it's going to be. Due to the nature of event, if it's not cool enough, people won't want to come back next year and may even tell their friends specifically to not come this year. So I'm figuring as much as $2000 for the auditorium, lobby, and stage areas for effects, provided they produce awesome results. The head-cheese for the business end of this project also is very good at marketing the non-profit side, and has gotten us over 80 gallons of free paints, and boatloads of other materials for free by smooth-talking companies.

Even better, every administrator and staff member in the district has been informed to help out in any way they can. So if we need artists, we'll get them. If we need lighting or sound equipment, it'll be there. If hands are needed to move things around or perform as actors, or put make-up on, we will have that support.

Later this week I'll see how far the cheap UV lighting will get me, but by the end of the week if that doesn't work we'll be arranging rentals/purchases for Wildfire fixtures.

Time is of the essence though, so I would like any/all ideas for how to turn an auditorium into a literal, living nightmare. I'll have photos of the rooms for everyone to look at on Monday.

If there's already flourescent lighting in any of the areas that people will be moving through, Rosco and Apollo both have good quality gel tubes that would work well for a cheap UV lighting effect. A quick look through their catalogs also suggested lots of fogging effects. Also, if you've got some decent ellipsoidals, there are lots of cool gobo options, along with rotators, effects, etc.

Last edited:
I like the idea of things coming out of the roof to scare the **** out of people, but actually falling all the way will make it tough to get stuff passed... What if you had some "corpses" that were rigged on quick releases and then would fall on a noose to somewhere around 7 foot off the deck, and then stop, like they were being hanged. Personally, I find bodies hanging and whatnot to be creepy, especially if they had some form of overhead toplight that was nice and tight on the corpse, in something like R97... If you had some way of making them move around after they fell, that would be even better... Also, if it was dark enough when people came in, you could have actors dressed in black with UV coatings on their outfits that step out of the shadows, kind of like ghosts materializing. Haze in the air would not be a bad thing, as would low clinging fog in non-people walking areas. I dont know what people think of this, but you might try and conceal most of the sources of lighting? I find it a little distracting when you can see various lights around the facility, but thats just me. Also, the softer glowing look can be more creepy, in my opinion.

I developed this a little further, and here's what I'm thinking.

The walls would be painted in an urban-graffiti sort of way with UV paint. Some artwork could be regular graffiti, but parts that stand out would be phrases to taunt people. Keeping with the school theme a little, they could say things like...

"You gonna cry now?"
"Where's your mommy to save you now?"
"Four eyes"

Then leaning against the apron of the stage would be a number of corpses(all corpses and live actors having Wildfire make-up and hair color) in a line, as if they had been executed, and UV-paint would show their "blood" spatters and puddles. To get down the aisle, you'd need to walk over a corpse with UV-paint as a chalk outline. Then against the house right wall, a number of live actors could be standing, facing the wall, with a murderer pacing back and forth behind them, wielding some kind of weapon. Then in the audience would be a number of fake corpses, as well as live actors. The live actors would be there, sitting and eating popcorn, as if that was the show they came to see. Then a person at a lectern on stage could lead them up on stage, and to the area upstage of the main curtain, which would be drawn. This would lead them into a murderer's basement, with a dozen corpses or so suspended at different heights from the rigging, with blood-red lighting scattered between them. Some careful placement of fishing line, and those bodies can easily sway eerily in the air. Then the murderer shows up, and scares them off into the next portion of the building.

The concern I have though is the lighting. That's a lot of black lighting, and both rentals and purchases of fixtures would be extremely costly, so I'll hope that my dealer can cut us a good deal, or that we can make a lot of it happen with UV tubes, and finish it off with maybe a single Wildfire fixture, or two at the most.

Last edited:
What if you had some lights thrown on the ground at the back (or front, or really whereever) on the ground cast through the charis, so you get some whacky shadows on floor, gel it in something disgusting. I've got an Apollo book here... AP5940: Putting Green "A sickly type color". If you keep it off the walls, and only on the floors, it would add alot to the blacklight effect. Whatever color you use, pick something thats neon to match with the black light effect. I think it'll also give a little bottom light (that's a new one...) to your hanging corpses if you hang em over the house...

For large budgets, get some movers and have a SLOW pan through the seats to make those whacky shadows WICKED. Spinning gobos may help with this...

I'm not planning on doing any movers, but I do like the idea of doing some contour lighting on the floor of the room. I don't want to detract from the UV-paint though.

I share your skepticism about the novelty UV bulbs. The T-12's have more promise. You can up their punch a little by adding some aluminum foil backing as a reflector, anything to push those unused lumens in the right direction. Does anyone know of a nice directional UV source that isn't super expensive? I've rented nice UV fixtures like the Wildfire Fresnels, but they sure are pricey.

Sounds like your design ideas are spot on, and sounds like a fun project with great logistical challenges. You'll have to post pics of the finalized project.

Oh certainly, once this is done I'm going to find someone with an awesome camera I could borrow for taking shots in dark environments. I've also put a call out to local artists and make-up masterminds to help bring it all together.

My problem with those UV bulbs is that they are going to give off more purple than UV light, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the tubes having enough punch and coverage or being able to get a hold of some Wildfire fixtures for no more than a single arm and only half of my leg.

I'll ring in and also agree on the cheapo UV's. Fine for a short throw, but they'll never throw from the ceiling to the deck in that space.

In an earlier post you mentioned you might have some buckage to play with.

Look into the Chauvet Black Shadow. It's $300 from Theatre FX and washes very well. We have one in stock and it washes our 50' wide proscenium with no problems.

The luminaire is a little funky and needs warm up time. So On/Off effects will not work. Unless you keep the UV in, and then wash it out with normal lighting, then kill the normal lighting.

We're just getting started with a Haunt idea of our own. Remember even if you go "Pitch Black" your EXIT signs can not be extinguished.

You can do on/off effects on the mercury vapor blacklights with a dowser, either manually operated or a "flag on a servo" type. They do have a significant warmup time (a few minutes) and can get quite hot.
/mike

I didn't get a chance to take photos because I ended up getting pulled into two separate meetings simultaneously and was busy elsewhere in the building. However, the committee controlling the funds and plan for the building have formally taken up my concept. They said I may need to rework the violence end of it, because though the entity operating the haunted house is privately funded, the building is still owned by a public school district funded by tax payers. With that in mind, they're going to double check to see what is or is not acceptable(how much violence is too much), and then go from there.

Otherwise, they want my portion of the building to look awesome, and are willing to spend money to make it such, so as of right now this project is a green light. I just need to establish what the best way is to black light the entire room, be it with arrays of UV tubes like was used in "The Game," or with Wildfire and/or similar fixtures.

I'm not planning on doing any movers, but I do like the idea of doing some contour lighting on the floor of the room. I don't want to detract from the UV-paint though.

Yeah, you'd need some Profiles to shutter, or alot of blackwrap/barndooring to make sure its off your UV effects. But I think it will add some interest to the seats and possibly serve as a safety measure...

Anybody know where I could find stand-mounted fluorescent fixtures?

Something like these, but these units are made by Kino Flo, and look very rugged and professionally built, which would be synonymous with very expensive. I think the cheapest UV light solution is to find a bunch of 24" or 48" tripod-mounted fluorescent banks, and then scatter those around with 2-4 tubes in each one. I'm having a hard time finding not only who makes them, but where to buy them. I don't need anything so rugged though that we could pack them up in flight cases and load them into trucks regularly; all I need is the bank of lights mounted on the stand, and possibly but not necessarily a diffuser.

proxy.php

(And yes, for the effect I'm going for, I have absolutely no problem having these fixtures be visible; I don't think it would have any negative impact on the effect.)

AFAIK, (Movie friends)
Those KinoFlo units cost around $10k or some insane sum like that, apparently they put out the exact color temperature for film.

Something that may or may not be of significance, but get a single UV tube and run it over the seats, it's a a high school auditorium, but that don't mean it'll be clean of bodily fluids and the like.
If your seats are glowing in splotchy patches, you may get people grossed out(in a bad way) or laughing.

You could build your own fixtures like that, using a fluorescent fixture from Home Depot, a ball and socket mount, and an ADJ tripod, or some similar thing. Spray entire thing black, and silver the inside of the fixture for a reflector, you have the equivalent device, probably not as nice, but it would work. Might look cool too.

The homemade variety appears to the route I'll end up taking. I wouldn't need them all on stands, but certainly a few to get coverage around the entire room. The issue is finding the best fixture to use. The ones that I could find online retail at $80/ea, but for regular fluorescent fixtures I know I can do better. Guess it's time to go for a drive and see who supplies what.

Our electrician stepped in. He would like to see all of the houselighting (65 light bulbs), replaced with the UV CFL's. I don't entirely disagree with as it would provide even coverage for the room, but I still have my doubts across 40' of distance, it would lose most of it's punch. On the other hand, there would be 65 of them. Then we'd add UV tubes as necessary to fill in gaps. He's evening willing to do the labor of changing them all, removing the lenses, and the changing the light bulbs again at the end of October.

That's depending on how the Wildfire pricing comes back though. I should have more details later today on which direction we'll end up taking this. There's been some controversy though because I was given a substantially larger budget than other rooms where, and those people have become reluctant to trust my decision-making as a result that I will be spending so much more than they did.

The premise of the entire situation that I was given a larger budget specifically because they're expecting professional results out of me, as opposed to some of the other people who are more hobbyists than lighting designers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back