Having trouble with a wheeled prop

I have a prop that is 2 each, 4' tall, and measures 4'x8, connected'. We have it on 5" rolling, swivel casters. It is used for dancers to dance on. I have no way to keep it from rolling. I could use locking wheels, but the prop still moves. Is there anyway to keep wheels on it and make it sit flat on the ground as they dance on it? I have to be able to get it on and off stage fairly quickly, so the wheels would have to be used before and after.

Could a system like those Lockable Home Depot Rolling Stairs work?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Take a pad or something and lower it down onto the stage to take weight off the wheels?

I have a prop that is 2 each, 4' tall, and measures 4'x8, connected'. We have it on 5" rolling, swivel casters. It is used for dancers to dance on. I have no way to keep it from rolling. I could use locking wheels, but the prop still moves. Is there anyway to keep wheels on it and make it sit flat on the ground as they dance on it? I have to be able to get it on and off stage fairly quickly, so the wheels would have to be used before and after.
@Rodney Gaines Have you considered glides on the bottom rather than casters? Glides could be as simple as old carpet scraps glued and pneumatically stapled to the bottom with the carpet inverted or UHMW pads or pneumatic / air casters if you've the budget and stage surface to suit. As for locking in position while on stage: Are you free to drop barrel bolts into holes in your stage which you'd fill with glued dowels then sand and stain after this production and prior to your next? The more info' and limitations you post, the more replies you're likely to get. Budget's always a consideration too.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The prop measures just over 18' long, and looks more like a table.
@Rodney Gaines A table top with exposed legs underneath or a table surrounded by a rigid / supporting skirt / modesty panel; in other words can you hide pneumatics or mechanics underneath or is it all fully exposed to patrons? What is the surface of your stage (??) and what is your budget???
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@Rodney Gaines Have you considered glides on the bottom rather than casters? Glides could be as simple as old carpet scraps glued and pneumatically stapled to the bottom with the carpet inverted or UHMW pads or pneumatic / air casters if you've the budget and stage surface to suit. As for locking in position while on stage: Are you free to drop barrel bolts into holes in your stage which you'd fill with glued dowels then sand and stain after this production and prior to your next? The more info' and limitations you post, the more replies you're likely to get. Budget's always a consideration too.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
We have, but we have to be able to transport this as well. that works when we are on stage, but getting it to and from hasn't worked. Thanks

We have, but we have to be able to transport this as well. that works when we are on stage, but getting it to and from hasn't worked. Thanks
@Rodney Gaines Transport as in tour, moving many times from state to state? or transport once from shop / rehearsal space to performance venue?? Are dollies for transport and glides for performances a cheaper possibility, a production company can rarely own too many decent dollies???
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@Rodney Gaines Transport as in tour, moving many times from state to state? or transport once from shop / rehearsal space to performance venue?? Are dollies for transport and glides for performances a cheaper possibility, a production company can rarely own too many decent dollies???
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
We have dollies, just no where to really place them. We move from rehearsal space to venue and back, only about 5 times a year. This prop is moved around the rehearsal space twice/three times a week, as needed.

This thread tries to offer a few approaches to braking. My post from an older thread offers an option for retracting the wheels on a hinged lever. There are many variations on how to actuate the lever depending the the mechanical advantage required. The cheapest alternative is standing on the lever and inserting a block or pin to lock it in the down position.

Where do you get those?
I've never seen them for sale, only built them in a few different scene shops. The bill of material makes like 12-14 based on what quantities you can order things in. If I recall correctly I was able to build the jigs, make the parts, and assemble them in one weekend with the help of a friend. I think we just used a table saw, drill press and a router.

We use these a lot, called a Destaco clamp. They're used in factories to hold things in place. Mount them so the shaft runs up and down with the handle end up. When you push the lever the shaft extends and makes contact with the floor. Just barely touching the floor it's like a brake, but you can set it so it will lift the whole piece off the ground. The end of the shaft is tapped for threads so you can put a double nutted bolt in there and use it for height adjustment. We had some large rolling units for a Nickelodeon show, 8 by 16 steel framed, 3/4 ply deck with flats across the back and barber chairs on them that people jumped into and spun around on. Put three Destaco's across the back side and lifted the upstage wheels off the ground and it never moved. If you're outright lifting like that, get the really big ones. Put rubber cane tips over the shaft to protect the floor.
proxy.php

I love those home-made air casters; I want to try them. There's also a design in Yale's Technical Design Solutions for Theatre (not sure which volume off hand) with the same idea, using plywood boxes I believe. We've done them with pancake cylinders and stem casters. And there is a commercially available solution that's well made and expensive:
http://www.afx.bz/AirPux_2.htm

I love those home-made air casters; I want to try them. There's also a design in Yale's Technical Design Solutions for Theatre (not sure which volume off hand) with the same idea, using plywood boxes I believe. We've done them with pancake cylinders and stem casters. And there is a commercially available solution that's well made and expensive:
http://www.afx.bz/AirPux_2.htm
@kicknargel There are several versions of pneumatic caster jacks, both commercially manufactured and DIY, there are also straight air casters utilizing higher volume air sources and appreciably larger diameter hoses. We used several of them during set changes between performances at the Stratford Shakespearean Festival in the mid 1970's but only the little pneumatic caster lifts during performances due to the noise created by the much LARGER volumes of air being exhausted by the pure pneumatic lifts. The larger air casters were basically hover boards capable of floating large, heavy, scenic pieces approximately 3/16" off the deck. We ALWAYS swept the deck prior to floating anything in from storage. You don't want to be hit by any flying shrapnel.
'nough said. The required air pressure wasn't particularly high but the volume was appreciable.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@RonHebbard Wenger makes orchestra shell wall sections that are moved with a hovercraft air lifter. One of our local universities have this setup in their recital hall. Very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back