Having trouble with casters on angled steel tubing

@SHCP When you wrote: "smaller set pieces can often be carried easily by one or two stage crew (or double the actors)" were you implying two performers were required to replace each crew member OR having the performers carry their own larger props on and off "doubling" for the moment as crew?
Know when you're being ragged mercilessly.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
I am saying that it takes at least 2 actors to place anything that 1 crew member can place on stage. It is not an implication, it is just scientific fact. Add a change in a blackout and now you have to use more complex math. In Arsenic, we had (by necessity) actors carry on ONLY table settings in a blackout. When the lights came up, a chair was missing. Science.

I am saying it takes at least 2 actors to place anything that 1 crew member can place on stage. It is not an implication, it is just scientific fact. Add a change in a blackout and now you have to use more complex math. In Arsenic, we had (by necessity) actors carry on ONLY table settings in a blackout. When the lights came up, a chair was missing. Science.
@SHCP Your local IA wants to hear from you. Your local Equity rep assuredly does NOT.
As I posted previously: Know when you're being mercilessly ragged.
Toodleoo!
Ron (Always a techie NEVER a performer [since grade four]) Hebbard

I think Equity also generally prefers that actors don't move scenery.

As an IATSE stagehand I prefer that actors do not move scenery. It's bad enough that they can loose their hand props seconds after taking possession of them. "Where is periaktoi #3? How can you misplace something that big?"

None of these comments should be seen as bashing actors. I love actors. They hold up our costumes.

But to get back to the subject of this post: When your castrated piece is in position for use, the axis of the wheel of your caster must be parallel to the floor and the axis of the swivel must be perpendicular to the floor. Do whatever you need to do to achieve this.

Im working on a production of Thoroughly Modern Millie and I need to make some rolling desks. My Producing artistic director decided to order $1000 worth of desks without asking me and ended up getting those combination school desks with the angled back legs. It’s made of 1 1/4” steel tubing. I’ve removed the feet to attempt to attach some 2” tall swivel casters but because of the angled legs, too much pressure is applied to the joint between caster and leg. It fell apart. Im looking for some suggestions on how to do this quickly.

My next idea is inserting a dowel and drilling on an angle to get the caster to sit right. Thoughts?

https://www.grainger.com/category/m...s?attrs=For+Use+With|Angle+Iron&filters=attrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back