Hazer

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a school production that will be held in a gym, and they are wanting to use a fog effect for about three minutes. I got with my light guy, and he has a hazer that we would use for this. However, I need to know the best ways to operate this without setting off any fire alarms potentially.

THanks!

Make sure you get a permit from the fire department. You can be fined quite a lot for a false alarm.

The only way to BE SURE is to have them turned off. Here its a cost for the fire marshal to come and be at the venue the entire time they are inactive and another separate cost to have the person from the school system to turn them on and off. Each of these people will have a minimum amount of hours they are called for. This can get quite expensive. Now you can risk it use it without going through all of this, quite a few people do this but the first time it goes off ESPECIALLY in a school. Personally I wouldn't risk it with a Hazer but with a true dry ice machine I would and wouldn't think twice about it. A fogger lies in that grey area. I have used them but you need to be careful about how much you put out, I have even used puffs of fog in place of a haver during programming so we didn't have to pay all those people and I got away without the alarms goin off.

What kind of look are you going for? For a 3 minute effect, something tells me that a hazer probably isn't the best choice.

What kind of look are you going for? For a 3 minute effect, something tells me that a hazer probably isn't the best choice.

For a 3 minute effect, you will have haze hanging for most of the rest of the show, unless the air is re-circulated every 3 minutes or so, I would imagine. A dry Ice fogger, or the gadget that you stick on the front of a G300 would be ideal for this type of application, I would think.

A hazer is the only thing I have access to, and we can get fans in to circulate it out quickly.

From my knowledge, it can pour it out quite fast, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back