The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

HD Radio tuners?

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by mnfreelancer, Apr 28, 2008.

1. mnfreelancer

mnfreelancer Active Member

Hey all - I am in the market for a component, ideally rack mounted FM HD radio tuner for my audio system. Does anyone use an HD Radio tuner yet? I've so far not been able to find a pro-grade HD tuner, only home audio geared systems that lack a balanced output. I may have to settle for such a home audio component but wanted to pick your brains first. Thanks.

2. mbenonis

mbenonis Wireless Guy Administrator

Radio Engineer
    I have never heard of one - but that doesn't mean they don't exist. You might look into broadcast suppliers to see if they carry such an item.

If you can't come up with one, you might make your own. Buy a car stereo with HD capability, add a 12V DC power supply, an antenna port for an external antenna, and a PC DI box to provide stereo L/R balanced audio output. Wrap it all in a nice 1RU rack case and mount away!

3. mnfreelancer

I guess great minds think alike - I considered that HD car radio idea and that will probably be my next step if I can't find a suitable component...I'd probably just buy a mounting retrofit kit and mount it in a black 2U rack blank...

4. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stageline Operator/Staging Supervisor
  5. mbenonis

mbenonis Wireless Guy Administrator

Radio Engineer
    That's really nice Phil. I've always wondered if someone made something like that...

6. mnfreelancer

Very nice indeed! That's what I'd buy if I weren't paying for it, but it is indeed ideal. Unless I win the lottery I feel that I'll have to settle for a consumer audio version or do the car audio conversion mentioned earlier...I'll call BSW anyway just to find out what they get for one...

7. silvrwolf

silvrwolf Member

You mean somthing like this: HD Radio Tuner

There is another version of this unit with digital outs: HDT-1X

Enjoy

8. museav

museav CBMod CB Mods Departed Member

Acoustical, audio and audiovisual consultant
    You will probably have difficulty finding a receiver with balanced outputs and a 'reasonable' price tag, the same has been true for AM/FM tuners. A rack mount tuner with RCA outputs and a separate -10 unbalanced to +4 balanced interface might be the closest you can get without spending quite a bit on the receiver.