Head phones

In the rare times that I do run sound for shows or in the studio I use headphones. The only problem is the mix sits good in the headphones but as soon as I take them off to hear the room sound it sounds like poo. Is there an easy way to fix this without loosing my headphone mix for recording live tracks?

maybe you could try setting the mix without the headphones?

when i do sound, i will usually only use my headphones to do a line check and make sure all the stuff on the channels is behaving as it should, or to try and find a problem. but i generally would advise you to do a whole mix through your headphones.

blackties_04 said:
In the rare times that I do run sound for shows or in the studio I use headphones. The only problem is the mix sits good in the headphones but as soon as I take them off to hear the room sound it sounds like poo. Is there an easy way to fix this without loosing my headphone mix for recording live tracks?
One of the good things about my poor old Mackie 8-bus is something they call "MIX-B" - a seperate stereo mix, independent of the channel and submaster faders. It lets me do a stereo "recording mix" independent of the live mix I do for the audience. It's almost like having a separate mixer, just for recording.

Each channel strip also has a direct out. For really important live recordings, I'll bring along my three ADAT recorders (24 tracks of tape, total). It gives me a track of tape for each mic. or DI I have on stage, so I can concentrate on mixing the live sound, then mix the recording later, in the studio.

If I'm not recording the Mackie stays at home. My Peavey is more rugged, designed for touring. Despite the fact that its older, goes to a lot more shows and gets banged around a lot more, I expect it to outlive the Mackie.

Anyhow, unless you're specifically hired to record a show, your first priority has to be the live sound. If the recording "sounds like poo," so be it. Better that than a pristine recording while, to the live audience, the show or concert sounds like poo.

John

blackties_04 said:

Hmmm :?

As John has pointed out, your priority needs to be the live sound. The fact that you are saying the live mix sounds like crap but the headphone mix sounds good is a worry.

What happens to you headphone mix when you get the live mix to sound good?

Remember that the room is going to sound different due to the size, shape, surfaces, materials, roof hight etc. You should always (IMO) mix to the room and use your ears to get the best sound that you can. In some rooms, there will be times when you simply cannot adjust the EQ to a point that you are happy with. Frustrating, but you just have to do the best you can.

Personally - I only use headphones to monitor an individual channel to keep an eye (or rather an ear) out for problems etc.

Anyhow - just my thoughts and I would like to hear if you lose any quality in your headphone mix once you get your FOH mix rockin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back