Headsets...

TechnicalRunner said:
is it possible that a cell phone could have done it? i know they have interfered with them before, and we did have a few people in the house watching last night.
thanks for your help!

Hi Lisa. The lights, if on dimmers, can interfere even if they are not changing. I just meant that it is easier to detect when they do. Cell phones can interfere with audio systems. Cheap walkie talkies might be more susceptible. I just did an experiment with my cell phone. When it transmitts to the cell tower to say 'hello here I am' it puts a short burst of interference on my stereo. I knew that happened but I tried something new. I checked my messages and the whole time I was connected interference came across my stereo.

Cell phone interference is fairly recognisable once you have heard it a couple of times. So if people were using their cell phones in the theatre then you might have picked it up. Not all cell phones will produce the interference. As an experiment put on one of the headsets and get out your cell phone and talk. Try a couple of people with different models from you. If it is cell phone interference, when you get closer to the phone the interference will get worse. This is why cell phones should be switched off completely, not just on silent mode, during performances. Even if you are not using your cell it will transmit every few minutes to let the nearest cell tower it is in the area.

Good luck with the detective work.

hmm that's interesting...thanks! well that will be my pre-show mission tomorrow :) just out of curiousity, how do the dimmers interfere with the headsets?

TechnicalRunner said:
hmm that's interesting...thanks! well that will be my pre-show mission tomorrow :) just out of curiousity, how do the dimmers interfere with the headsets?

Some of the answer is what you would study at college level electronics. I think I can give a basic explanation with the help of the link below. First I have to make sure you know how the basic dimmer works from the electronics point of view.

The link below refers to how light dimmers, you would find in your home, work. But the principle is the same for Theatre dimmers , they just use higher rated components and a bit more control circuitry.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/dimmer-switch2.htm

If you look at the diagram. It shows what an AC mains supply signal looks like. Been AC there is a positive and negative cycle. The point at which there is no voltage is called, naturaly enough, the zero crossing point. As shown in the diagram at this point there is no power flowing to the lights.

So how the dimmer works, is by detecting the zero crossing point on each half cycle. The time delay from the zero crossing point until the TRIAC is turned on to let power flow varies the amount of power, hence the light level, that goes to the light.

If you turn the light on just after the zero crossing point you will get most of the power available in the half cycle going to the light = Actors saying " It's to bright and it is shining in my eyes" :roll:. Turn it on half way through the cycle and you will get a lot less power going to the light, so it will be much dimmer = Parent saying "I couldn't see my little Suzzie" :roll:

Ok now you know how the dimmer works we can talk about how it causes interference.

The main cause of interference is that the rate of dv/dt is to high. Don't worry I wouldn't expect you to understand that. It just means that the voltage does not rise slowly but is suddenly switched on at a level above zero volts. Sometimes at home when you turn a light on you will hear an arcing sound in the switch as the current jumps the contacts in the switch before it is fully closed. If there is a radio nearby you may hear interfence in it.

This similar in the dimmer packs although there won't be a spark but that sudden inrush of energy causes interference to be radiated out. If you do music you will know about harmonics. The interference comes from the TRIAC turning on 120 times a second (two half cycles of AC) but there will be interference at other frequencies which are harmonics of the 120 eg 240, 360 etc. So this interference can reach high enough frequencies to be picked up by radios, audio gear etc. Some of this interference will also travel back down the power lines from the dimmer packs along the mains supply into a piece of audio equipment such as a mixer. Here the amplifying circuits will see it as just another signal to amplify. Then amplify it along with the wanted audio signal.

This is why you hear people say never put the sound equipment on the same phase as the dimmers. Not always possible to do. In some places they actualy use a separate transformer to provide the power for the sound system and then run this power to multiple parts of the building eg back stage , sound booth etc. This way the sound gear is all on the same phase. This also helps to minimise mains hum inteference caused by different earth potentials, but that is a story for another day.

You will know you have dimmer based inteference when it varies as the level of the lights vary. At about the 50% level the interfernce is the worst. At higher levels the lights are turned on early and the voltage that is suddenly switched on is lower so less interfernce.

Even if the dimmers aren't causing interference in your audio systems you can notice the effects in two places.

1) The dimmer packs. In the dimmer packs, to help minimise this inteference they put a coil of wire in series with the lamp to slow down the rush of current. As you know when a current flows through a wire it causes a magnetic field and this magnetic field causes this the coil to move slightly. Since the current is being turned on and off 120 times a second this causes a buzz to be heard from the coil. If you are standing next to the dimmer when the levels are being changed you will haer the noise from the packs change.

This applies to most of the older type dimmer packs a lot of the schools have. There are some other ways to dim the lights that don't cause as much interference. But these are newer packs, say installed in the last two years. They still cost more then the older style but will probably eventually replace the older style.

2) The lights themselves will buzz. This applies to the incandescent type of light that has a filament. The filament is a bit like a coil and the magnetic field that is created then collapses each time the current is switched on, will shake it. It is in fact this shaking that can cause a bulb to blow before the filament burns out. You can hear this shaking as a buzzing. It will be more noticable at lower light levels because the voltage is higher when the light is turned causing a bigger magnetic field.

While I am on the topic of bulbs blowing this is why sometimes you will hear the term pre-heat, in connection with the dimmer packs. When a light bulb is cold it's resistance is lower so when a voltage is applied more current flows and this bigger surge may be enough to shake the filament to bits. When the bulb is warmer the resistance is higher so less current flows causing a smaller magnetic field -> less shaking.

When you blow a light bulb at home it quite often blows as soon as you turn it on because of this cold current inrush. Pre-heat on dimmers does exactly what is says. A small voltage is feed to the bulb all the time to keep the filament warm. Pre-heat shouldn't be set so high that you can't get a blackout. You may notice a small red glow if you look right into the light.

A bit of a long story but hopefuly that answers your question.

thank you!! that made a lot of sense (well most of it :lol: )! i have a question though...what does TRIAC stand for or mean?
avkid - yes we were using wireless body mics at the time...i wasn't sure if it was them though since the headsets were fine during rehearsals when we were using the wireless mics, but the night we had all the static we had a small audience, so that's why i was wondering if it was something else.
thanks guys!! :D

TechnicalRunner said:
thank you!! that made a lot of sense (well most of it :lol: )! i have a question though...what does TRIAC stand for or mean?
:D

Lisa glad I could help.

EDIT: TRIAC - Triode Alternating Current Switch. The name says is all. It is an electronic switch that switches on/off the AC current to your light. Another type of switch you will hear about in connection with dimmers is SCR - Silicon Controlled Rectifier. This is like a TRIAC but can handle only current flow in one direction ie to switch an AC current you need two, one for the + cycle , 1 for - cycle. The TRIAC is basicaly two SCR in one package.

The TRIAC is explained on this page from the link on Light Dimmers I posted. If you go to this link then move through the pages this should answer your questions better then I can.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/dimmer-switch3.htm

a little bit off topic, why are FRS radios illegal for commercial use? At our last show, well, the church we rent space from has four Radioshack bodypark wireless radios. All of them are CRAP. Very nice in their prime, I'm sure, they look very nice and expensive! Of the four, one talks and receives, the others either talk or recieve. We used twof of those, two of my radios (FRS...) and two of another tech's really nice radios. None of them would talk on the same frequency, so the techs had several different radios.....the SM and ASM, on opposite sides of the stage, used one pair to talk to each other, and another pair was used to go from the SM to the tech booth. I forget what the third pair was used for. It's funny to see people walking aorund two two cellphones, butfunnier to see someone dressed in all black with two radios and headsets! ;) next show, I will get all the radios organized so it's not like that. But, it will likely be using FRS radios, which apparently are illegal. Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back