Hearing Protection

I can't stand the weight of the big muffs. I'm a firm believer in the ear plugs on a plastic headband for shop work. Simple ones like this. Never take them off, just hang them around your neck. I wear them under my chin instead of over the top so it only takes seconds to go from hanging around the neck to in place. When your working in the shop it's easy to get lazy and not want to walk over and pick up your muffins, but if they are around your neck, there's no excuse for not being safe.

That's why I also have a set of safety goggles with prescription lenses built in. Cost me around $70. But I just take my glasses off, put them on, and no excuse to not be safe.

Where'd you buy your glasses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search for UVEX Genesis Prescription Insert. The metal frame pops in and out so you can clean everything easily and replace the lens shield. I took the metal frame to Costco and got cheap lenses put in for about $45. I think I paid about $30 for goggles and frame but it's been about 5 years so I don't really remember. I need to get them remade next time I get a new prescription. I"ve had two new prescriptions since then and they are getting a little off for me.
Uvex-XC-Rx-Prescription-Lens-Insert.jpg

I hope this does not dissuade anyone from using hearing protection.

From the article, the dumb guy (I was going to use a different word) didn't follow the directions for the plugs, and injured himself. Then he waited six months before getting medical care. The pain must not have been very severe if he waited that long. Reputable online medical advice says that ear pain lasting more than 48 hours needs to be checked out by a doctor. I think his legal complaint is a bit weak.

Last edited:
Six months? What an idiot. We have a disastrous orchestra pit (and consequently a very comprehensive hearing conservation program) and we go through earplugs like there's no tomorrow. Never ever have I seen anyone manage to burst their eardrum through incorrect use of earplugs. I use a pair of the Etymotic ER20s in noisy situations (backstage brass players usually relish the opportunity to get out of the pit and let rip!) and yeah, they do seal tightly - but you just twist them carefully and slowly and they pop out no dramas. There's also a case in Britain where a former Royal Opera House viola player is suing them for permanent hearing damage which we are watching very, very closely indeed. I don't think he'll win, for a variety of reasons, but it still is of great interest to us.

The 3M Peltor is only $75. There is a cheaper version ($35), but they are yellow and probably have less bass.

This would be useful for hearing people speak, has auto gain control to adjust volume:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1713
The sound quality is likely not good enough for hearing music, but the electret mic could be desoldered and replaced with a better mic, if the new mic can tolerate a little trickle of current passing through it, or the bias resistor can be clipped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back