Heat Shield Preference?

blueeyesdesigns

One of my venues just invested in a couple dozen color scrollers and now I'm considering adding a heat shield gel to each of them to extend the life of the gel strings. They're 7" Forerunners and they'll be used in a wide variety of instruments for varying lengths of time. (Educational/Road House environment)

I've noticed that each of the big 4 make one or more versions of such a beast; wondering if ya'll have any experience with them, and any preferences? I would like avoid losing *too* much of the light output, with the understanding that some light loss is a necessary evil.

I am pretty sure I can get funds to protect an investment, and pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get enough funds for new scrolls later. :\

Last edited:
Hi, I'm wondering if people have any preferences in heat shield. I've used GAM 99 in the past, though more recently I've been using L269 a lot. Does anyone have a preference or know of any reason why to use one over the other? I'm going to be doing a show soon with scrollers on PAR64s so I want to make sure I use the best thing to protect the Gel Strings.

Thanks

Do your scrollers have built-in fans airing out the strings? You may not get much more mileage out of a heatshield that you already get out of active air circulation.

Great question Mike, I'm curious of the answer as well.
In case the fans of the OP's scrollers are inoperative, the Apollo GelShield will lengthen the life of the gel strings by quite a bit. Our testing of various gel transmissions in color frames mounted on ETC Source Four and Source Four PAR fixtures showed 7x longer life with the GelShield.

It's pretty good stuff!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back