Hedge Hog 4 Programing

Hi guys,
I have gone through the manual a few times and watched video tutorials and although I have learned quite a bit puzzled on some basic things.

1) I am wanting to use my playback faders as efficiently as I can, and wanting to use them as attribute controls for things like strobe rate, and effect scale and speed within the scenes.
The idea being that 1 fader would be for effect attribute control, where as each scene in within that cue list could be responsible for attribute controls for the effects engine. ie scene 1 would be effect scale, scene 2 would be effect speed ect. you then can scene the name of the scenes on the display and cycle through then to get to whatever attribute you want. Similarly I would like to do the same thing with strobing my Colorados LED's. Where as 1 scene would be strobe all fixtures, scene 2 would be only strobing certain fixtures such as the drums, keyboard ect. Another fadder would be then responsible for controlling attributes as strobe rate, strobe intensity ect.
At this point I can get the fadder to be a strobe attribute, on all fixtures. Also I can get the effects rate as a multiplier on a fadder but it doesn`t effect the scale as degrees as you would find when you use the encoders after you click on an movement macro for your movers. So when using the Effect size modifier (multiplier), there no real change in the movement of the movers.
Also were not running haze and we only have 2 moving spots, so I am looking at creating a bunch of color and instensity chase patterns, with specfic color pallets and fixture pallets in mind, however I also don`t want to store a bunch of them in the cue list directory. I was wanting to setup a few cuelists and store them in the effects window and color chases but realized it won`t accept multiple scene cues (cuelists) in that window, although its used as an effect.
Just wondering how to go about setting this up as a show playback, I am used of having many more faders or doing 1 complete show with multiple cues like in the theater environment.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated,
Thanks
soundguy

Take a look at both the "Scenes" directory and the "Cuelist Directory". Both can be used for direct playback as buttons on your screen. Play around with them until you understand how they work. Scenes can be a bit tricky to get to turn off elegantly. I frequently use them for single attribute looks, like setting the base color for a look. You can also program things like a "Strobe On" and "Strobe Off" button to be able to toggle things. With the cuelist directory, you can just set them up to toggle on and off like a standard cuelist.

Thanks, I am trying to use the cue list as specific scenes and color pallets rather than color chases which I would consider as effects.
Ideally what I would like to do is select a color chase pattern on the touch screen within a separate window other the the cuelist window, and adjust the speed and offset type attributes using the fadders.
Similar to that with the positional effects for the movers.
Thanks again
Soundguy99

I think you may be trying to get too much control. I know that it sounds like an oxymoron, but bear with me. I've found that when I'm busking a show (which it appears that you're trying to set the board up to be great at), too many options slows down playback and makes for a worse show. I'd suggest that instead of trying to get it all onto one fader, try coming up with 3 or so that are good and making a scene or cuelist for those. If you really want them to be modified on the fly, try making a chase cuelist, and save it in the cuelist directory. Turn off "Protect" and that turns the button the screen into a go button. You can then hold pig key and hit the button as a tap-sync to set the speed.

Position effects are even easier! Set up all those effects on your preferred space (I like to put them in the cuelist directory and set them to toggle on and off on a press). Those effects run around a center point, not to specific points on stage. You can then use another scene or cuelist to set postition, and it will run the effect around that. 2 effects and 6 positions becomes 12 looks.

I have been avoiding the "suck" button for hours... still sucks.

Seriously tho.. HOGs are good for this sort of thing. cbrandt is on the money.

P.S. If anyone needs/wants a HOG2 I have one I'd let go of for cheap. Minor repairs needed... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back