Hedge

Dani

We need to create a hedge for our production of Charlie Brown, however we want it to look pretty real yet it needs to be inexpensive, the hedge will possible be in four separate pieces and each piece can move and turn.

What type of things could be used to make a hedge? Any cheap sources for foliage?

Thanks for your help!
-Dani

It seems I do a lot of shows with fake foliage in them. Artificial foliage and water, that's been my life for two years now ! hehehe.
First off how long is your run ? If it's typical Highschool, running for a weekend, talk to a local garden supply or tree farm. Both Boxwoods orArborvitaes will hold up very well indoors for a week end or two. If your bound and determined to go with artificial, I can tell you they are very expensive. Here is a linbk to an artificial boxwood hedge. Judging from your description and the specs on this link I'd say $2,250.00 + shipping
http://www.madesigns.biz/products/prod88.phtml fake box wood

Another choice is to manufacture your own boxwood hedge. Here is a link to a place that sells the individual "stems" or Sprays so you could assemble them onto a box or armature that you manufacture yourself.
http://www.zimmermanmarketplace.com/cgi-local/item.cgi?si=11403426459338743&id=297 spray

At $4.25 a pop, your going to be busy and broke. Check Ebay there are several suppliers of dried and silk flowers that I have ordered from One lady down in Georgia was particular wonderful to deal with.
Another option my be to check with local party decoraters, wedding planners, or Corporate decoraters, All of these people have the potential to supply artificial foliage. Hope that Helps a little. I know when we did Humble Boy last year I spent thousands on fake flowers, nice thing is now I have them in stock and can rent, sell, use them on a as needed basis. They're a great thing to have in stock at a theatre but I believe few realize how expensive they actually are.
An

Another option that I have used in the past to make topiaries that works pretty well, and it might work in what you want. Take chicken wire with a frame built inside of it in the shape you want. Take heavy weight paper towels and stuff them in "tufts" in each and every hole of the chicken wire. Paint the paper towels whatever color you want. Its not perfect looking, but it works pretty well. There is a ton of labor in it, but its a rather cheap option.

Thanks for the advice, we are a college production and have i think 6-8 shows (they are still debating on matinees)

Thanks for the advice, we are a college production and have i think 6-8 shows (they are still debating on matinees)

Go with the real thing (call your grounds dept and see if they want some more plants...)

Oh yeah 6-8 performances? Get some real ones. My typical run is 6-8 weeks 7 shows a week and real plants just don't stand a chance. but with that short of a run you should have no problem at all with a real boxwood or aborvitae

While I agree that there's a nursery out there who will be happy to help you for a free ad in the program... Hedges sound like something that a theater in your might have in stock. Have you looked into borrowing/renting from larger theaters in you're area? Here in Seattle, many of the big theaters are willing to rent/loan out stuff for VERY reasonable prices. There are also businesses who specialize in props and private people who rent out things (I found a guy who's got an Audry 2 in his garage). I've been amazed at how many cool props and set pieces are available if you talk to the right person. If you haven't gotten yourself connected to these kinds of people in your area, get to know some T.D.'s, you might be surprised at what you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back