Helllllllllp! on the Ion

RaGre

I have to plot a show tommorrow (have 4 days til it opens tho) and I am useing my venues new desk, an Ion. (lovely desk but I am still learning)
First 2 questions:
I seem to have turned off my fader wing in a setting on the desk and I can't work out how to turn it back on, what settings to change on my desk.
How do I release my LED's from intensity pallettes on the Ion?
Help and suggestions re these questions gratefully received.
Look forward to hearing from you
Cheers
JP
PS
What is a "tag" I am a bit of a Dinasour, this is only my second forum (etc's being first) and I am just getting used to face book, and everything.

I have to plot a show tommorrow (have 4 days til it opens tho) and I am useing my venues new desk, an Ion. (lovely desk but I am still learning)
First 2 questions:
I seem to have turned off my fader wing in a setting on the desk and I can't work out how to turn it back on, what settings to change on my desk.
Cheers
JP
PS
What is a "tag" I am a bit of a Dinasour, this is only my second forum (etc's being first) and I am just getting used to face book, and everything.

For the turning off the fader wing, I believe its under desk or show settings, you might need to re-power cycle the console.

Oh! With the ION, you just select whatever channels the LEDS are on, then [at], and whatever intensity you want them at.

Tags are what are used to change the text for different things like web links or changing the color/font/bold/italics/underline. The best place to learn about them, would be clicking a the bottom of the page where it says "BB code is On or clicking Here.

Last edited:

Is the logo being displayed, or is there just a line displayed across the middle of the LCD? When you start a new show, the LCD will not have any submasters or faders assigned to it. It is very easy to place in blank submasters to make programming easier -- press to go into Blind Sub List, and then type [1] [Thru] [Thru] [4] [0] [Enter]. This will create 40 blank submasters. You can then assign them by going into [Live] and typing [1] [Thru] [4] [0] [Enter] and then tap both the buttons beneath the first fader to have them sequentially assigned to the faders.

(Of course, if you have a 1x20 or 2x10 wing, you may only want to create 20 submasters. Or 100 -- however many you want.)

EDIT: After checking on the ETC forums, the below answer is not what the OP is looking for, but still good information.

Sneak Enter I think is what you're after.

(Channels) Sneak Enter -> Sends all parameters of the selected channels back to their previous or background value (if controlled via cue or submaster, it will fade back to those levels)
Sneak Enter -> Returns any channels under manual control to their previous/background values.

To fade all intensity values out without changing non-intensity parameters (i.e., pan/tilt, color values, etc...) press [Go To Cue] [0].

To fade out all values to background, including non-intensity parameters, press [Go To Cue] [Out]

Last edited:

A tag is little piece of metadata that is attached to the threads here on Controlbooth. You can enter tags manually or the software will pick them based on the title of the thread and the content of your post. Tags help our internal search engine find relevant posts and also helps other search engines like Google and other indexing sites find information within the forum. If you want to add your own tags to a post you can, but you are not required to. For a thread like this you might tag it with: "Ion, ETC, fader wing, palettes"

And, since the Ion doesn't have a [release] button (lets talk about that somewhere else, please), I'd get friendly with [Go To Cue][Out] and [Go To Cue][0].

[Go To Cue][Out] will reset the cue stack to the beginning and set all intensities to 0 (unless affected by a sub). So when you press [Go], your first cue will come up.

[Go To Cue][0] will just go to the beginning. So when you press [Go], your first cue will come up.

And, you don't need to release a channel (or group of channels) from an intensity palette, just give them a new value.

Last edited:
And, since the Ion doesn't have a [release] button (lets talk about that somewhere else, please), I'd get friendly with [Go To Cue][Out] and [Go To Cue][0].

[Go To Cue][Out] will reset the cue stack to the beginning and set all levels to 0 (unless affected by a sub). So when you press [Go], your first cue will come up.

[Go To Cue][0] will just go to the beginning. So when you press [Go], your first cue will come up.

And, you don't need to release a channel (or group of channels) from an intensity palette, just give them a new value.

Technically it does have a release button, the clear button, If you have modified a channel and its still in the command bar its still "captured".

[Go To Cue][Out] will reset the cue stack to the beginning and set all levels to 0 (unless affected by a sub). So when you press [Go], your first cue will come up.

Note that the primary difference is that Go To Cue Zero sends INTENSITIES to zero as well as re-setting the cue stack. With Go to Zero, Non-Intensity parameters are not touched. Go To Cue Out sets everything, NIP's included, to NULL as well as to start of cue stack.

There's also [Sneak][Enter] to revert intensities, and [Sneak][Sneak] to revert NPs to their previous state.

Actually you will find that almost all consoles that are tracking consoles or generally more sophisticated than Express(ion) don't have release buttons.

Actually you will find that almost all consoles that are tracking consoles or generally more sophisticated than Express(ion) don't have release buttons.

You mean Cue list release? Because at least from my experience, most boards have some kind of button that will allow you to release stuff you've brought up with command line. Although, maybe that's just me, I haven't really done tons of stuff on the GrandMA, WholeHog or other boards designed for really complicated shows. I know that the most complicated board in the Palette line, for example (yeah, Ohio is pretty Strand heavy) has a button where one of several functions is to release fixtures.

You mean Cue list release? Because at least from my experience, most boards have some kind of button that will allow you to release stuff you've brought up with command line. Although, maybe that's just me, I haven't really done tons of stuff on the GrandMA, WholeHog or other boards designed for really complicated shows. I know that the most complicated board in the Palette line, for example (yeah, Ohio is pretty Strand heavy) has a button where one of several functions is to release fixtures.

Not the Ion! If I've got "Chan 1 0 @ 75". I can't just push a "release" button and have it go back to zero (assuming its previous intensity was zero). I have to do something that someone above stated.

And, what I said would work for releasing the cue stacks/lists.

Not the Ion! If I've got "Chan 1 0 @ 75". I can't just push a "release" button and have it go back to zero (assuming its previous intensity was zero). I have to do something that someone above stated.

And, what I said would work for releasing the cue stacks/lists.

But I don't understand why this is an issue. Unless I'm missing something, [Sneak] [Enter] will have basically the same result as [Release] at the intensity level. I actually prefer it to the Release button on the Express, because you need to confirm the Sneak command ([Enter]), so there's less danger of accidentally hitting release and losing a few minutes of level setting.

But I don't understand why this is an issue. Unless I'm missing something, [Sneak] [Enter] will have basically the same result as [Release] at the intensity level. I actually prefer it to the Release button on the Express, because you need to confirm the Sneak command ([Enter]), so there's less danger of accidentally hitting release and losing a few minutes of level setting.

Ok, so long as theres some way to do this. Of course, if there wasn't, I'd be finding an Ion OE and programming a macro right now,

Technically it does have a release button, the clear button, If you have modified a channel and its still in the command bar its still "captured".

Among all the other myriad methods, you can also press Undo. If your last command was "Channel, XX, Full Enter", Undo takes you right back. Great button, saved my ass many times.

And as general comment, I ran Express consoles for 10 years, with Ion for 1-1/2 years now and there really isn't anything I miss off the Express, including release. I have found that much of the way the Eos family functions allows me to find other and better processes for getting up and running.

I do however, miss a function called Supermasters that was Emphasis only and that ETC has indicated "may" get put in in some format, with a general re-work of fader/subs in v.2.

First 2 questions:
Cheers
JP
PS

To patch faders to subs:

Displays, show settings, fader configuration, go along and check them as submasters and then assign numbers as you please

To patch faders to subs:

Displays, show settings, fader configuration, go along and check them as submasters and then assign numbers as you please

Or, a much quicker way of doing it, pressing both of the buttons beneath a fader functions as the "Load" button on the Eos - so just type [#] [Enter], then depress both buttons under a fader to assign that sub to the fader.

Or, a much quicker way of doing it, pressing both of the buttons beneath a fader functions as the "Load" button on the Eos - so just type [#] [Enter], then depress both buttons under a fader to assign that sub to the fader.

Or, you can press [#] [Thru] [#] [enter] and then press the first faders two buttons, and it will assign all of the numbers sequentially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back