Hello everyone

Flo

Hi everyone,
My name is Flo and I'm a musician from Paris, France.
Long story short : I'm interesting in becoming a lighting technician. I've kind of fell in love with it and I don't want to make a living with music anymore. I've been bored with playing things I don't enjoy and I'd rather keep one or two bands that I REALLY like. Some people told me that I needed to take classes but I want to think that I can do it by searching on my own if I'm really determined. What do you guys think ?

Anyway, I have access to a GrandMA Lightmaster II 24/6 in a music school where I'm giving classes. I've been starting to work on it on my own and I have some questions about OLEs. Is there a software that emulates the GrandMA Lightmaster II so I can work at home too ? Sorry if my question is stupid, I'm a real beginner. Also sorry, maybe I should have split it into two different topics. AND sorry again for my poor english skills, and thank you for reading me. :)

Bienvenue Flo! There is no such thing as a stupid question and your English is Fine. I can't answer your questions, I'm more of a Scenery guy, but I like your idea and there have to be places in France where you can "break-in" to production without having to go to school. There are a lot of folks in America that get in to the business just like that. I might suggest looking for work in a Production Lighting rental company. Tell them what you want to do. While everyone wants to start off programming and or operating the board, it usually takes years of training and experience and working with other designers before you will start landing jobs as 'just a designer'.
Whatever else you do, do not let you lack of experience keep you from trying. I would rather have a team of people that really wanted to learn and make themselves better than a team of folks who have experience but really don't care about doing a good job.
I'm sure someone else will come along here soon and answer your question about the software.
Again, Welcome aboard and Bon Chance!

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think American people usually have more a "self-made man" attitude than French people, and I'm a bit jealous of this actually. :) Anyway I'll definitely look where I can be of any help in this industry.
Thanks again !

Welcome Flo, may your stay here enlighten you. One question tho, is the desk you have access to a Lightcommander II 24/6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back