Hello from Atlanta, GA.

Geo13

Hey Everybody,

I'm a lighting technician in Atlanta, GA. I've worked on a few TV shows, a couple of movies, but most of my work is in lighting for commercials. I don't have much experience in lighting for stage or live events, but I find what you all do fascinating and am here to learn.

Although stage lighting and movie lighting is different, I feel like there is a lot of cross over and knowledge that can be shared from both sides. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise with somewhat of an outsider.

Basically, I'm looking to put together a portable DMX/RDM rig that I can setup and breakdown easily which I can move from job to job. I don't have much experience with DMX or RDM lighting control, but I have been doing my research and reaching out to various professionals. I haven't purchased any of the gear yet, but here is how I have it setup on paper:

Synthe-FX Luminair 3 app on my IPad as my DMX controller. This would be connected wirelessly to my router. From the router I would have an Ethernet cable running into an Ethernet splitter. For my RDM controller I would have Lumen Radio's Supernova 3 program running on a MacBook. From the MacBook I would have an Ethernet cable running into the same Ethernet splitter as the router. From the Ethernet splitter with my MacBook and router plugged into it I would go into an ArtNet to DMX node. Out of the node I'd go to a DMX/RDM opto-splitter. Plugged into the splitter I'd have a Lumen CRMX Nova FX DMX/RDM transmitter. As my receivers I was looking at Ratpac's Cintennas.

I know that's a lot of information quickly spit out, so I hope it makes sense. We usually have pretty basic setups. We don't use moving lights very often, and don't call for a lot of cues. This would be more to set colors, intensity levels, and have quick control over hard to get to fixtures.

Any advice on the setup of this rig and specific recommendations on gear and programs within the rig would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure I have it setup in a way that is efficient and where everything plays nice together. Thank you all again for taking the time to read through this and offering any insight you may have. Your experience, knowledge and time is very valuable and I can't thank you enough for sharing some of it with a newcomer.

Hey Everybody,

I'm a lighting technician in Atlanta, GA. I've worked on a few TV shows, a couple of movies, but most of my work is in lighting for commercials. I don't have much experience in lighting for stage or live events, but I find what you all do fascinating and am here to learn.

Although stage lighting and movie lighting is different, I feel like there is a lot of cross over and knowledge that can be shared from both sides. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise with somewhat of an outsider.

Basically, I'm looking to put together a portable DMX/RDM rig that I can setup and breakdown easily which I can move from job to job. I don't have much experience with DMX or RDM lighting control, but I have been doing my research and reaching out to various professionals. I haven't purchased any of the gear yet, but here is how I have it setup on paper:

Synthe-FX Luminair 3 app on my IPad as my DMX controller. This would be connected wirelessly to my router. From the router I would have an Ethernet cable running into an Ethernet splitter. For my RDM controller I would have Lumen Radio's Supernova 3 program running on a MacBook. From the MacBook I would have an Ethernet cable running into the same Ethernet splitter as the router. From the Ethernet splitter with my MacBook and router plugged into it I would go into an ArtNet to DMX node. Out of the node I'd go to a DMX/RDM opto-splitter. Plugged into the splitter I'd have a Lumen CRMX Nova FX DMX/RDM transmitter. As my receivers I was looking at Ratpac's Cintennas.

I know that's a lot of information quickly spit out, so I hope it makes sense. We usually have pretty basic setups. We don't use moving lights very often, and don't call for a lot of cues. This would be more to set colors, intensity levels, and have quick control over hard to get to fixtures.

Any advice on the setup of this rig and specific recommendations on gear and programs within the rig would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure I have it setup in a way that is efficient and where everything plays nice together. Thank you all again for taking the time to read through this and offering any insight you may have. Your experience, knowledge and time is very valuable and I can't thank you enough for sharing some of it with a newcomer.
Welcome aboard @Geo13
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Hello GEO13.

I have helped a number of Gaffers create pelican’s with all of the bits for an easy wireless setup.

Typically it goes something like this -

Luminair --
Airport (or any other Wifi Router but get a dual band.) --
Enttec Ethernet to DMX converter --
Wireless Transmitter --
Wireless Dimmers / Receivers --
Fixtures

I assume you are wanting to use the sACN hub in order to get more than one universe. Unfortunately LuminAir only outputs one universe of DMX/sACN so it’s probably cheaper to just do the Enttec Box. Additionally, the LumenRadio FLX RDM box will accept sACN so can go right from the Wireless Router to the Transmitter I believe. I have to pull out my transmitter and confirm that you could take your DMX out of the Lumen FLX while receiving the sACN feed. I am pretty sure this works but I don't have it in front of me to check.

The Cintenna devices are super handy. Really like the Ratpack equipment. I would also take a look at (Shameless Plug) The RC4 LumenDim series of equipment. We do a ton of film/TV work. Our dimmers are perfect for putting on the back of a Litegear Litemat and then running from battery. They also have DMX out so you could plug into your Skypanel, etc. and feed the DMX data while using it to dim LED tape or any other 5-35v DC light source. They are perfect for costumes, props, and many other daily set needs. They all feature wireless RDM so the have easy setup with your Supernova software and Lumen FLX box. Take a look here - http://www.theatrewireless.com/shop/rc4lumendim/lumendimm4/

Let me know if I can help you further.

Nice to see the Atlanta Commmunity growing! I'm in Marietta. Welcome to Controlbooth. Which production companies do you work with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back