Hello (From DC and the north end of the DC Beltway)

Tom Howley

Longtime TD for the smallest of the "Large" professional theaters in the DC theatrical firmament. Perpetually learning-as-I-go, it seems. . . !

Reactions: Van
Welcome. hang out for a while and tell us more about what you do.
Regards
Geoff
From the land downunder.

Hmm-- do I have a few minutes before running out for a grocery run before dinner? Sure-- sure I do. For a brief few words, at least. . .

Tech Director at Theater J in Washington, DC., since 2004. Our scene shop is about 18 miles north of the theater (which is not an unusual circumstance in our community), in Beltsville, MD-- in an old, old industrial district that follows the rail lines. NOT INITIALLY TRAINED AS A TD-- I'm an actor (two degrees) who did lights in college and worked in the scene shop in grad school. I am definitely a carpenter-first TD. And am generally behind the curve in my skill-set (e.g.-- my first welding project just occurred this season--).

Theater J is "The nation's most prominent Jewish Theater company"-- and it punches above its weight, as in DC it is tiered with the "Big" companies like Arena Theatre, Shakespeare Theatre, Signature Theatre--- etc. We're small enough where our staff of roughly ten people each have the word "Director" in their title (or something similar)--- but really, we're also our own staff for the most part.

And I'm sure I have some colleagues bouncing around this board somewhere--- so, big shout-out to them-! Heya teammates!

I am somewhat familiar with theatre J. You guys do good work. Hope you enjoy it here

Good guess. i am proud to say she is my daughter. How do you know her?

Good guess. i am proud to say she is my daughter. How do you know her?
She and I were cast-mates in (now gone) Brave Spirits' sadly-cut-short Shakespeare's Histories Project. (Attached is a photo from Henry V-- which got one performance on the weekend that everything shut down for quarantine--) First-rate teammate, she is-!

Attachments

• JQ Henry5.jpg
    JQ Henry5.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back