Hello from Manitoba, Canada

Hello,

I live in an area with many community theatre groups and I work with all of them. The majority of the productions I work on as a contractor coming in performance week to run lights and sound.

I also work alot closer with my local groups taking my turn in many of the other back stage rolls. So generally in a year I work on about 15 different productions a year with few evenings and weekends free.

Otherwise I got a BA in Business Administration and most of my previous lines of work are related to residential construction or event management. I hear to share my experiences and learn about introducing moving lights to some of my upcoming productions.

Thanks,
-Darren Klassen

Welcome to The Booth Darren! It sounds like you'll fit right in. Don't be shy, start posting and join the discussion. Get to know the search function as there are a lot of great articles in the archives. You should find lots of thoughts about the use of moving lights there. Try the three following sets of search terms separately to get you started: moving light, moving head, and intelligent light.

In general you'll find that The Booth is skeptical about high schools and community theaters adding intelligent lighting. It's expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. Many people don't understand the commitment they are getting into and don't have a clue what to do with them once they arrive. I've had a lot of posts on the topic. So many in fact that my ideas have become called "The Gafftaper Method" around here and given it's own space in the Wiki Collaborative articles. Take a look at that article first then post in the lighting section.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back