Hello from New Zealand

Mark Harris

I'm Mark. I've been involved in theatre for around 35 years as an actor, writer, director, designer, technician, operator, administrator - I've even cleaned the toilets! Sadly, in a population of 4 million, the opportunities to get paid for it are slim, so I work mainly in amateur/community theatre for the satisfaction and experience rather than the dineros.

I've been involved in theatre in the Wellington region at BATS, Wellington Repertory, Stagecraft, Backyard, and Kapiti Playhouse (where I am currently), often in lighting and sound roles as well as acting and directing.

Cheers

~mark

Welcome mark, what a wonderful, magical place you live. New Zealand is one of those places I wish I could visit. my favorite thing there is the WOW festival, and that is just from seeing youtube clips.
http://worldofwearableart.com/
One question, as one who wears many hats, are there ever times when the director you throws down your hat and yells at the technical you because they don't get your vision?

Welcome mark, what a wonderful, magical place you live. New Zealand is one of those places I wish I could visit. my favorite thing there is the WOW festival, and that is just from seeing youtube clips.
http://worldofwearableart.com/
One question, as one who wears many hats, are there ever times when the director you throws down your hat and yells at the technical you because they don't get your vision?
To be honest, as a director I often do my own designing ;-) But generally, because I've done all the other roles, I don't ask the impossible from a tech, any more than I would from an actor. I regard light and sound as performers in their own right, just as essential to the show as the guy onstage spouting the words. Sometimes they have to be babied along, sometimes they have to be shown directly, and sometimes they have to be told gently but firmly "because that's the way I want it." If I have to yell at someone, cast or crew, it's because I haven't done my job properly.

I've worked with screamers - they get nothing but resentment from cast and crew and are likely to be counter productive to the production. As a director, I see it as my job to get everyone on board with my vision for the show, which comes down to doing my research and planning well before the production starts so that everyone feels comfortable that I know what I'm doing. I'm also always open to making changes, if they're better for the show, which helps to let creatives feel that they're not stifled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back