Hello From Ogden Utah

By way of introduction my name is Ray Kimber. 70+years old this year (everything works- nothing hurts) Was always a techie, even in elementary. Started my college days at Weber State College (now University) and signed up for the campus radio station. I was a night DJ for KWCR, a 10 watt FM station, anyway they had a big new Ampex (maybe a 350?) recorder sitting there in the boxes for weeks and weeks, and without considering the need for permission I unboxed it, installed it in the rack, and wired it into the console. When the station manager was asking who installed the R2R I said that I did it, he seemed bewildered. Later I would find out he thought I was pranking him. A couple of days later I was summoned to the administrative offices, and was quizzed about the install. At the end of it Lou Johnson told me that he wanted to hire me as a stage manager for the Fine Arts Center (now the Val A. Browning Center for Performing Arts), right now! A few days later I found out that you had be be on stage crew for at least 2 years before any consideration of being a stage manager. I had a glorious time. Somewhere along the way I became friends with Rell Thompson, joined IATSE (closing in on 50 years) - oh the stories. I do have a special reason for joining this group - which to tap into some vintage equipment history. Weber State had a system by Major Electric, with super heavy plug in dimmers modules in the basement. Solid State magnetic amplifier technology with a little "preamp" module that plugged into the face of the dimmer. I have been searching everywhere for any brochure or catalogs that show that dimmer. AND on the nose of the balcony was the main lighting control positron a 2 scene preset that used heavy paper cards that were about 12" x 24", using little metal rivets. When you dropped a card into the slot you moved a lever that pressed the rivets between a common conductor and a long wire wound resistor, that then sent a 0-10volt signal to the dimmer vault. the house dimmers were a gigantic motor driven variable transformer. Can anyone point me to any information about the system? In the meantime I do have a private library of 20,000 books, focused in the fields of technology... and I have 7,000+ factory reel to reel tapes and a plethora of machines and other audio equipment. More later, I am delighted to be a part of this group

Welcome Ray!
Lots of great people on CB who all love stories, figuring out old equipment, and coming up with interesting solutions to unique problems.
Happy you're here

Welcome, Ray. That's sounds like a heck of a library. It'll get used on some topic around here, just you watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back