ademhayyu1

Greetings fellow technicians,

My name is Adem Hayyu and I am a junior at Franklin High School in Seattle, WA. I joined tech theater in my sophomore year and I did sound for my very first play, Ain't She Sweet. I wasn't very good even after a lot of video tutorials and outside help. The spring after, Intiman Theater, Seattle Rep. Theater and other great theaters in Seattle, came together and came to teach tech theater at Franklin with help from other professionals. I decided to try lighting and it was the best idea I ever had. I got trained by Lighting Designer, Robert J. Aguilar. He taught me everything I needed to know, from reading light plots, different lighting fixtures, how to use the school's lighting console, and a lot more. I learned so much and surprisingly understood a majority of what was being taught to me even though it was my first year and I had no prior experience of theater at all.

Lighting Design ended up being such a huge passion and I wanted to learn more. Unfortunately, Franklin doesn't have a huge tech theater class so I couldn't really learn anything more than what Mr.Aguilar taught me. So I decided to teach myself, and the only way to do that, was to do lighting for more shows. The next summer, I interned at Intiman Theater and was a assistant lighting designer. And guess what? The lighting designer I was interning for, was an assistant lighting designer for Robert as well! Coincidence? I think not.

I am now currently in my junior year of high school, President of Drama Club, ASB Club Coordinator, FHS Tech Supervisor and an aspiring Theater Lighting Designer. I'm currently finishing up a production an K-8 school asked me to do tech for and in production of Franklin's Spring Musical, The Wiz (Shows are May 4, 5, 10, and 11...if you're in the area).

I hope you all would be nice enough to teach me new things about everything needed to know about the tech theater industry and help me learn so much more. I'm glad to say that tech theater has made a huge impact on my life.

Hi Aedm,
Welcome to the fun house where there are no silly questions and lots of great advice.
They way to learn from this forum is ask questions and someone will answer them.
Regards
Geoff

Greetings fellow technicians,

My name is Adem Hayyu and I am a junior at Franklin High School in Seattle, WA. I joined tech theater in my sophomore year and I did sound for my very first play, Ain't She Sweet. I wasn't very good even after a lot of video tutorials and outside help. The spring after, Intiman Theater, Seattle Rep. Theater and other great theaters in Seattle, came together and came to teach tech theater at Franklin with help from other professionals. I decided to try lighting and it was the best idea I ever had. I got trained by Lighting Designer, Robert J. Aguilar. He taught me everything I needed to know, from reading light plots, different lighting fixtures, how to use the school's lighting console, and a lot more. I learned so much and surprisingly understood a majority of what was being taught to me even though it was my first year and I had no prior experience of theater at all.

Lighting Design ended up being such a huge passion and I wanted to learn more. Unfortunately, Franklin doesn't have a huge tech theater class so I couldn't really learn anything more than what Mr.Aguilar taught me. So I decided to teach myself, and the only way to do that, was to do lighting for more shows. The next summer, I interned at Intiman Theater and was a assistant lighting designer. And guess what? The lighting designer I was interning for, was an assistant lighting designer for Robert as well! Coincidence? I think not.

I am now currently in my junior year of high school, President of Drama Club, ASB Club Coordinator, FHS Tech Supervisor and an aspiring Theater Lighting Designer. I'm currently finishing up a production an K-8 school asked me to do tech for and in production of Franklin's Spring Musical, The Wiz (Shows are May 4, 5, 10, and 11...if you're in the area).

I hope you all would be nice enough to teach me new things about everything needed to know about the tech theater industry and help me learn so much more. I'm glad to say that tech theater has made a huge impact on my life.
Welcome to the Booth Aedm!

I don't publicly say exactly where I work, but I'm the T. D. at a high school performing arts center on the other side of the lake and a little North of you. We're doing Beauty and the Beast,the same weeks as your show. @JChenault lives pretty close to Franklin and does lighting down in Tacoma.

Franklin has a pretty nice theater facility if I remember right. I was briefly a substitute teacher and subbed for the drama teacher there once back in the 90's. I suppose it's getting a little old and worn now.

I'm glad the Rep and Intiman helped you out. Too many schools build nice facilities and just abandon them. There are lots of great community theaters in the Seattle area. Many of them would love the volunteer help of an eager student. Find the right one and you may be able to get a lot of free training.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back