Help: Chauvet Obey 40 Issues

Studio764

I recently scored a lightly used Chauvet Obey 40 on e-bay, works OK for simple LED lighting like my Venue PAR 56's, however, the other four intelligent lights are not responding as they should:(. One will not transition into the next scene correctly, others won't shut off when their scene is over, another will strobe into a scene when it's not supposed to:evil:. The slider that operates the Revo III to play it's automatic pattern, will work for a second, then it will go into a default mode. Any help with these issues would be greatful. The DMX controller is an older model, could the signal it is sending be faulty, or not a true signal?
The other lights are 2-AMDJ Tri Phase, and an AMDJ Mystic, all new.
Thanks!!!:grin:

There are a couple of things that are simple to check. First is proper termination, second isolate one of the funky instruments and use a single new line straight to it and see if it does the same thing. Bring down and use a short cable and see if length is the problem. Are you daisy chaining all the lights together. You may have to use a optomizer and runs to each light. Sometimes different types of lights don't play nicely together.
Once you have eliminated the DMX possibilities then move to you controller. One more thing you can check is there a setting to change the DMX rate.

I am daisy chaining with 5ft DMX cords, not sure what an optimizer is and how much they are. I will try to isolate the lights to see if they are in fact operating as they should by themselves. Thanks for the quick reply!

If you find that each light runs by itself then go back to the original setup and add one light in the chain until it acts weird.
Call these guys if you need any additional DMX toys. Doug Fleenor Design
You can ask what they suggest in actual splitters. They also have the terminators that you may need.

HELP! Chauvet Obey 40 won't talk to LEDrain 56 cans

I just purchased a Chauvet lighting system consisting of 8 LEDrain 56 PAR cans and the Chauvet Obey 40 DMX controller to replace an analog incandescent 16 can PAR 38/56 with dimmer packs system. All cables in the new package are DMX. I've daisy chained the cans and connected the controller to the first can in the chain, but no matter what I do, the controller won't talk to the cans. The cans can be made to function properly via their manual settings, but will not respond at all to any DMX controller commands. I've set the DIP switches in accordance with the recommended address settings, and have tried programming a simple scene, to no avail. The DMX controller has 16 channels of control, though the LEDrain cans use only 7 channels. I set the can addresses via the DIP switches at intervals of 17, to match up with the controller. In program mode, the cans do not respond to fader changes, so I can't even see the scene I'm trying to create! The controller seems to work OK, but no commands go to the lights - they just sit there at whatever DIP setting is selected on the fixture. I've tried disconnecting all but one light, addressing it as fixture #1, and still can't get any response from the controller. HELP!!! Shouldn't I be able to simply select a fixture, move the faders, and manually control the fixture parameters? I have not used a terminator plug, but I can't imagine that's the problem. I've followed the manual step by step, and have re-initialized the controller after every failed attempt. Nothin seems to work. I'm really in the dark here! Thanks for any help. Tom

Re: HELP! Chauvet Obey 40 won't talk to LEDrain 56 cans

Hi

I'm not sure if this helps..

Before we switched to Hog 3PC, we used some Chauvet Obey boards. I had the same issue. I had to select a fixture number on the bottom row (There should be about 12 of then, If you select #1, The faders should be starting at CH1) Also, did you check the DMX Polarity switch on the back of the board?

My issue was on a Obey 70...I also never used the fixture buttons for fixtures. Just used them as pages...

Thanks.

OK, on the Obey 40, each Scanner/Fixture button on the left is 16 DMX channels wide, so button 1 outputs to channels 1 to 16, number 2 outputs to channels 17 to 32, etc.

To get things running manually, set the fixture DIP switches to address 001 then push the fixture 1 button. at this point each of the 8 faders will output to DMX 001 to 008.

The page select button will switch it to 009 to 016.

Now, to a useful configuration:

The easiest way to set this up is to set your fixtures up to start at multiples of 16. so, fixture 1 would be set to 001, fixture 2 set to 017, fixture 3 set to 033 and so on.

Now, each of your fixtures will be on one of the "fixture" buttons. If you select 4 fixtures, then these fixtures will respond together in the manual mode. At this point you can venture into programing them independently. You can set up to 230 scenes with this board.

EDIT: Oh, two other things. Needles to say; 1) make sure your blackout is off and you are in the manual mode.
2) Also, on the back is a DMX polarity switch. You have a 50/50 chance it is set right. Give it a flip if all else fails.

Last edited:

Are you sure you have the fixtures in DMX mode and not some stand alone mode?

I appreciate the helpful suggestions. I'm still stuck. I don't find any "standalone/DMX" switch on the LEDrain PAR 56 fixtures, only a "Auto/Music" switch, which I've switched to no avail. I also don't find a "Manual" mode button on the DMX controller. I've tried switching polarity on the Obey 40, and have even tried a different data cable from the controller to the first fixture. I cannot get the fixtures to respond in any fashion to channel fader moves from the controller. I have daisy chained the fixtures, set all DIP switches to 1, activated the "Fixture 1" button on the controller, and the fixtures just sit there locked on red. I can't even get the downstream fixtures to accept manual DIP switch setting changes from the first fixture, when I turn off all the downstream fixture DIP switches and try to run the lights in "daisy chain". No data is going downstream, whether from the Obey 40 controller or from the first fixture. I've also tried sending the DMX cable to each fixture alone, with no success. Every time I try something different, I also switch the polarity, to be sure that's not the problem. I've re-initialized the controller several times. The only thing that works is making manual DIP switch changes on each individual fixture, and then they each do their own thing, with no regard for controller moves. I've been at this for hours, and nothing works! I've been a professional musician for 30 years, have run a 16 can incandescent light system, have operated a recording studio, programmed multi-effects units, etc., etc., and I've never encountered such a frustrating gear issue. I'm about to throw the whole system out in the street. Any suggestions? I called Chauvet, but they're closed right now. HELP!

Hi

I'm not sure if this helps..

Before we switched to Hog 3PC, we used some Chauvet Obey boards. I had the same issue. I had to select a fixture number on the bottom row (There should be about 12 of then, If you select #1, The faders should be starting at CH1) Also, did you check the DMX Polarity switch on the back of the board?

My issue was on a Obey 70...I also never used the fixture buttons for fixtures. Just used them as pages...

Thanks.
Thanks. Nothing's working. See my continuing post.

OK, on the Obey 40, each Scanner/Fixture button on the left is 16 DMX channels wide, so button 1 outputs to channels 1 to 16, number 2 outputs to channels 17 to 32, etc.

To get things running manually, set the fixture DIP switches to address 001 then push the fixture 1 button. at this point each of the 8 faders will output to DMX 001 to 008.

The page select button will switch it to 009 to 016.

Now, to a useful configuration:

The easiest way to set this up is to set your fixtures up to start at multiples of 16. so, fixture 1 would be set to 001, fixture 2 set to 017, fixture 3 set to 033 and so on.

Now, each of your fixtures will be on one of the "fixture" buttons. If you select 4 fixtures, then these fixtures will respond together in the manual mode. At this point you can venture into programing them independently. You can set up to 230 scenes with this board.

EDIT: Oh, two other things. Needles to say; 1) make sure your blackout is off and you are in the manual mode.
2) Also, on the back is a DMX polarity switch. You have a 50/50 chance it is set right. Give it a flip if all else fails.
Thanks. Nothings working. See my Reply below.

This is what I mean by DMX mode: from the user manual p. 8
Operating in a DMX Control mode environment gives the user the greatest flexibility when it comes to customizing or creating a show. In this mode you will be able to control each individual trait of the fixture and each fixture independently. The LEDrain™ 56 uses 7 channels of control.
Note: DIP Switch 10 must be turned on to activate DMX control mode.
Note: Older 8-dipswitch version must have dipswitch 8 turned off to activate DMX control mode. Dipswitches 1-7 set the DMX address, and the maximum address is 127.
I hope this solves your problem. If it doesn't, I would read over the manual to make sure you have all of the settings correct for what you are trying to do. If you don't have a paper copy of the manual it can be found here.

-Tim

Chauvet Obey 40 problem.

I have been trying to set the "FADE TIME ASSIGN" to only affect the Pan and Tilt but cannot get it to complete step 5. The following text is lifted directly from the manual.

FADE TIME ASSIGN (OPTIONAL SETUP)
You can choose whether the board’s fade time during scene execution is implemented broadly to all
output channels or only to the Pan and Tilt movement channels. This is relevant because often you
will want gobos and colors to change quickly while not affecting the movement of the light.

Action
1) Turn OFF the controller.

2) Hold the BLACKOUT and TAPSYNC buttons simultaneously.
3) Turn ON the controller.
4) Press the TAPSYNC button to toggle between the two modes. Either all channels (A) or select channel Pan & Tilt only (P)

5) Press BLACKOUT and TAPSYNC to save settings. All LED’s will blink to confirm.

No matter how I try, and I have tried every combination of pressing the BLACKOUT and TAPSYNC buttons, I cannot get the LEDs to blink to confirm this setting has been made. Also, does anyone know if this is a permanent change or will I need to set it everytime I power up the DMX controller.

I have emailed Chauvet but, as yet, they have not replied.

If there is a 512 dip switch on the back of your light, put it to the on position. If they are anything like my LEDRain 64's a light will come on on the back.

This means they are in DMX mode.

I think this is what you need.

FADE TIME ASSIGN (OPTIONAL SETUP)
You can choose whether the board’s fade time during scene execution is implemented broadly to all
output channels or only to the Pan and Tilt movement channels. This is relevant because often you
will want gobos and colors to change quickly while not affecting the movement of the light.

Action

1) Turn OFF the controller.
2) Hold the BLACKOUT and TAPSYNC buttons simultaneously.
3) Turn ON the controller.
4) Press the TAPSYNC button to toggle between the two modes. Either all channels (A) or select channel Pan & Tilt only (P)
5) Press BLACKOUT and TAPSYNC to save settings. All LED’s will blink to confirm.

I have exactly the same issue with my Obey 40 and have gone through all the advice on this thread........ very useful thanks !! but not resolved as yet.

But I think this may be the issue i.e. getting the fixtures into DMX mode. All my fixtures are addressed via dip switches. Should there be a unique positioning for these in addition to the normal addressing in order to get them into DMX mode. And if the reply is yes I am in difficulty with some fixtures as I dont have the manuals.

Any help to conclude this issue would be very much appreciated.

Rgds

Mac

But I think this may be the issue i.e. getting the fixtures into DMX mode. All my fixtures are addressed via dip switches. Should there be a unique positioning for these in addition to the normal addressing in order to get them into DMX mode. And if the reply is yes I am in difficulty with some fixtures as I dont have the manuals.

Which fixtures?

Welcome to CB! If you'd like, you can go introduce yourself in the new members forum!

Which fixtures?

Welcome to CB! If you'd like, you can go introduce yourself in the new members forum!

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

The fixtures are -

Equinox Quadzilla X 2 - I want to run them together
Acme Dynamo X 4 - On seperate channels
UV Cannon Led Par 151 (cant see any manufacture name)
PAR 56 LED spot - again I cant see any manufacture name
KAM Mighty Kaleido Laser

I have assembled the above just to get things up and running and will be looking to add more in a few weeks.

Again, thanks for your help.

Rgds

Mac

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

The fixtures are -

Equinox Quadzilla X 2 - I want to run them together
Acme Dynamo X 4 - On seperate channels
UV Cannon Led Par 151 (cant see any manufacture name)
PAR 56 LED spot - again I cant see any manufacture name
KAM Mighty Kaleido Laser

I have assembled the above just to get things up and running and will be looking to add more in a few weeks.

Again, thanks for your help.

Rgds

Mac

1. Use the internet to find manuals and ensure that all devices are addressed in a way that enables DMX mode.

2. Make sure you have hard reset the Obey 40 to rest all faders to 1:1 versus mapped configuration.

3. Start playing with fixtures you have/can find manuals for to locate where, if applicable, the fader altering the control channel needs to be set to enable DMX control of the fixture.

4. For the fixtures without manuals, you may be SOL. Hopefully they use a standard binary configuration for the dips (if they have dips). Then you can just play, possibly a lot, until you find the control channel. It is often the first or last, but that can get tricky if you can't find out how many DMX channels the fixture uses and in what mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back